Best Father's Day Movie

Not looking to do a tournament or lengthy drawn out battle here, but I am interested in hearing people state their case(s). It is Father’s Day this weekend after all, and not only are stories a fundamental part of the human condition, movies can be a means to a couple hours of uninterrupted peace. So, what would you consider to be the best movie for Father’s Day? I will nominate three.

First off

A father with issues with his own father goes on a crazy sports adventure to ultimately reconcile with the ghost of his father via a game of catch out in the yard? Yeah, gotta be way up there. A top pick for “movies that men say other men are allowed to cry when watching.”

Second

On the one hand, I’m glad I watched this one. On the other, I could hardly restrain myself from being a sobbing mess while watching it for the first time on an airplane while traveling for work away from my girls. Spoiler alert: the father gets murdered while traveling for work away from his girl, and he really hopes she still remembers him. Geez, I even have a hard time holding it together and writing this up.

Third,

We don’t all have positive relationships with our fathers, or even know them. So, we can’t rule out a totally sweet movie that tells the story of a, shall we say, complicated father-son relationship.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Depending on circumstances and audience, Caddyshack, Father of the Bride, Inside Out, Home Alone.

1 Like

The answer is Die Hard. That is always the answer. Ok there aren’t any father related plot lines in Die Hard, fine, Die Hard 4.

5 Likes

Ok serious answer, one of the Vacation movies, surely?

Inside Out is an especially good call

Never seen it but I assume Pursuit of Happyness has to qualify.

Big Fish is the ldo best Father’s Day movie

1 Like

My dad loved Top Gun, I’m sure there’s other dads out there similar.

Last movie I watched with him before he passed was Black Hawk Down. Only two movies I can remember going to the theater with him, just the two of us, were Cliffhanger and Clear and Present Danger.

I’d be down to watch any of them as I’d imagine most dads would. Honorary callout for The Rock too (as well as Hunt For Red October and Under Siege).

2 Likes

Die Hard is the correct answer tho.

2 Likes

Probably our favourite…

This was a blast in the movies on a Sunday afternoon :grimacing:

And finally but never last and is not even a movie but a whole box set :rofl:

I love the Indiana Jones stuff so Last Crusade has to be on my short list for this.

4 Likes

Field of dreams is a clear number one.

Feel like this one would resonate with you and @JohnnyTruant in particular for Father’s Day. The book is excellent, and John Hillcoat made a movie that rivals No Country for Old Men for the top spot of Cormac McCarthy adaptations.

6 Likes

Anal Bandits VI.

1 Like
1 Like