Being a mod or admin is intolerable, and this community is at a high risk of dying

I highly doubt that.

What do you mean? There are other British posters on this forum who have absolutely nothing to do with any of this. This forum doensā€™t have just 4 people from the UK.

Mods shouldnā€™t be a permanent/until you decided to retire/vote them off the island position on a community run board, as your threats have suggested. Those who have taken the role with this understanding have been excellent and weā€™ve all been the better for it.

5 Likes

Iā€™m doing 3 months and that seems plenty long. I have had problems and people mad at me, but I can easily take it for 3 months. Iā€™ll be happy to do it again at some point as well. I wouldnā€™t do it for a year.

1 Like

As far as banning all the culprits, I know I donā€™t agree with everyone about who they are.

1 Like

So, you only like micro? As far as Iā€™m aware, thereā€™s an n of 1 there.

BTW, this thread is almost certainly going to get horrible real fast. Iā€™m probably going to stop reading it before it gets to that level.

Moderators, just do what you think should be done. Youā€™re not going to please everybody. If you think thereā€™s a bad apple, get rid of it. If you think there are multiple bad apples, get rid of them.

7 Likes

The last time d2e4 participated in a non mod whining discussion was January 18th. Seems like thatā€™s a major issue.

1 Like

Iā€™m in the same camp, I spend a lot of time on here and have no idea what this is all about, although Iā€™m getting an impression. I think rotating out a couple of mods while also handing out some temp bans to sort things out sounds good.

8 Likes

You feel unappreciated? My bad. Youā€™re awesome. But your job as a mod shouldnā€™t be permanent/until you decide to leave or get voted out.

3 Likes

I think rotating mods is good in theory, but I look down the list of people and the only handful Iā€™d be happy with as moderators have all expressed a disinterest in doing so. Who can really blame them either?

My issue with rotating mods is, what happens when someone is modded and goes a little power crazy? What happens if someone starts didsing the fuck out of this place, is what Iā€™m saying. There seems like an extremely high likelihood of someone becoming modded who probably shouldnā€™t be and causing a lot of disruption to the community. Seems even more likely since the bar for who becomes mod will probably be ā€œdo you want to be a mod?ā€ and anyone who wants to be a mod is likelier to be a terrible mod.

1 Like

When Iā€™m not a mod, man Iā€™m just going to tell people to use ignore and mute threads. Itā€™s trivially easy to have nothing to do with any of this drama. Everyone involved in any way, even to complain about it, is seeking it out because they want to.

1 Like

Weā€™ll cross this bridge when we get to it, but donā€™t think one mod within a fixed term can do more damage than the for-lifers that never met an internet position they didnā€™t defend to the death.

4 Likes

So two new people have already volunteered to mod. Letā€™s get the process done. Goofy and Wookie can get a much needed break. I assure you the forum is much more enjoyable when you can ignore threads you donā€™t like.

3 Likes

god in heaven what have i missed in a week and a half?

7 Likes

The log of moderator actions indicates that most of the problems are being caused by a select group of posters, maybe this is something we do need to make community decisions about.

1 Like

Wrong. The community had a poll and voted about how a certain word would be moderated. Sky then came in and said she didnā€™t care about that, and she was going to ban people anyway. The correct thing for Sky to do when she doesnā€™t want to moderate per the standards of the community is to either ignore those posts, or resign.

I felt the same way about cuse when he was a mod and threatened to unilaterally ban NBZ, and left the site for a while until he resigned. And I donā€™t think anyone can say that I have/had any bias against cuse.

8 Likes

Mods didnā€™t want to seem biased, and instead have let several good posters leave and risk their mental health because we have a few morons who need to be pandered too.

Yes, you know who you are. Youā€™re adults. Youā€™ve genuinely made this place worse since the election and the damage is irreparable.

7 Likes

That group has reservations over the modding. New users willing to step up. Lets try that and see what happens. If the same people continue to be on the mod log we can decide a different course.

6 Likes

Maybe if you occasionally banned people that agree with you for the same offences that you ban people who disagree with you, the problem would resolve?

5 Likes