Being a mod or admin is intolerable, and this community is at a high risk of dying

Where do I sit in read/posts?

Isn’t the larger number better?

1 Like

Just my opinion but previous mod experience is not a positive for what we’re trying to do here

6 Likes

If i was selecting someone who was the most active and had the most posts read - a good metric for a mod - I wouldn’t want some lurker with some massive posts read to posts made ratio. I’d rather they have some high threshold of posts made (like let’s say at least 1500 or something ) and then see among those users who has the lowest ratio, to determine who’s very very active and not a lurker.

Maybe that wouldn’t be everyone’s best metric for a mod, but to me I’d like someone reasonably active that also reads a lot, so they have good context on drama and people whining at each other for “he said/she said” kind of stuff.

fuck no, we’re here to shitpost son, get out there and start makin moves

2 Likes

I’m grunching hardcore here, but I’d like to put forth a proposal for forum governance to hopefully solve all of these issues.

Admin - currently jmakin. Handles all technical aspects of the forum. Helps weigh in on moderation issues and general forum policies but has no duties related to day to day moderation. Serves in this position for as long as they are willing to and commits to not leaving this job without finding and training a suitable replacement from the community.

Moderators - 4 mods who serve 1 year terms, with two mods rotating out every 6 months. After serving 1 year, must take 6 months off before becoming a mod again. Handles day to day moderation of posts where necessary and has power to issue temp bans as they see fit up to 24 hours. Any ban over this length (up to and including permanent) must be voted on by the full mod team. A temp ban may be issued while the longer length ban is discussed. If an issue is a 2-2 tie between the mod team admin breaks the tie. This is the only time admin decides on moderation issues.

Forum Arbiters - 3 people in this position. Should be viewed as people who never participate in forum drama and can be as unbiased as possible. Help step in to resolve complaints raised by posters against a mod or the moderation policies of the site as a whole. A ban over 24 hours may also be appealed to this group. Otherwise they have zero day to day moderation duties. Decisions require minimum 2-1 majority and are final. Serve in this position for as long as they are willing to.

11 Likes

Ahhh I thought you were speaking strictly about the ratio.

Np, it’s fun to me. I think I just need to add like one line to a python script. I made all these scripts to get user data from what’s publicly available months and months ago “just in case” but never ended up getting enough interest, lol.

Sounds pretty good but I think one year is far too long

4 Likes

Yep

@RonaldChevalier

https://unstuckpolitics.com/u?order=posts_read&period=all

3 Likes

3 months is pretty good. And I think a lot of people who would be willing to do it for 3 months wouldn’t even think of doing it for a year.

2 Likes

Good lord, we have to revisit this drama every three months?

1 Like

It would be very easy to keep a list of people in line. Right now we have 4 people trying to fill one spot.

2 Likes

Yeah three or four seem like the sweet spot

I’m currently agnostic on this point. Could you expand on why you feel this way?

wow I didn’t even know that existed, I’ve been doing this the hard way

2 Likes

No super deep thought behind it. Just feel like if we use mods from 22 that this place will be moderated in a way similar to 22 and I thought we wanted something different here.

4 Likes

This fits in well with what me, PocketChads, beetlejuice, and others have been advocating. Beetle would obviously be an ideal choice for Head Arbiter.

1 Like

What the hell. @NotBruceZ is one stingy bastard hearting posts! :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve said this repeatedly because I think it’s important. Rotating mods won’t mean better mods. Imo there’s nothing wrong with any of the current mods. There is a problem with mods being permanent (or just “permanent” because they keep being re-elected) imo, but I would not rule anyone out because of their having been a mod on 2p2.

4 Likes