Bailout / Stimulus Discussion (Hints Missed & Shartz Fired)

right, what I’m getting at is “overhead” may not be the best metric here

e.g. if a medicare advantage plan provides Part A, B and D at the same cost to both the taxpayer and enrollee (which seems to be the big selling point of the commercials, “no additional out of pocket premium” etc) plus MORE, then why should I care if some vague “overhead” metric is X instead of Y?

1 Like

Almost every concern that M4A opponents have can be answered by “why don’t you see this in other countries that already have single payer healthcare?” In this case why don’t you see mass hospital shutdowns in the UK and Canada? M4A opponents always bring up these imagined problems that the US will have that don’t exist in any other countries that already have single payer healthcare

10 Likes

I never got the $600 check. It was allegedly mailed to my old residence, but when I created an account to log into IRS website it shows $0 for the 2nd stimulus. I e-filed two days ago and return was accepted today, scheduled date of payment is 3/30, but more importantly they should have updated address and routing number in time for the $1400.

1 Like

There is no way to adjust which bank account the stimmy goes to right? I closed my old bank and opened a new one after the last round. I assume I’ll just get a paper check in like 2023? I’ve never filed my taxes this late before…

I think monetary_expert just talked about this in their most recent post…

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1370145145316855808

3 Likes

Used credit karma tax this year. I file EZ and gave them all my info ~ Feb 1st. IRS accepted my return on feb 10. That was 2 days before they opened. Return in bank account on Feb 24.

Insane. I’m still waiting. Filed on February 15th.

Same, looks like there might be some movement today. The site with our transcripts is currently down. They are supposed to update the accounts of anyone who falls into some certain bucket (Like 70% of filers or something) today, so fingers crossed.

1 Like

I just hate the waiting. It would be fine if they give you a specific date. Instead, we are told it takes 3 weeks, and then after that passes, we are told it’s still processing. Just tell me when I’ll get it.

1 Like

I received my federal refund 3 weeks ago and still haven’t received state refund from Iowa. In past experiences state was always faster, so seems like everything is a mess in one way or another this year.

1 Like

R/IRS is popping off with those who are able to see their transcripts finally showing refund information. Site is overloaded right now though so getting into transcripts is hit or miss. I’ve been locked out for about an hour. Keep checking Matty. We are both 2/15ers so I am curious when you get yours

1 Like

is there a good summary on the tax changes? I filed in early february, and I assume I’m going to need to amend the return to take advantage of the unemployment income exemption and possibly the increased child tax credit (not really sure if I’ll get that or not, it phases out?)? I haven’t gotten my refund yet, should I wait for that to amend?

FWIW I filed using HR block online.

The IRS has still not processed my 2019 return (filed by paper in July 2020). This led to me not getting my second stimulus. It also meant I ran into problems trying to efile for 2020 (because I had no AGI on file for the prior year). So I filed by paper again this year. Hopefully it doesn’t take them a year to process.

1 Like

I think we will get more details about the unemployment thing in the next week or so.

$1,400 pending in my checking account. Thanks for the Biden Bucks, Joe!

2 Likes

Ugh. In addition to the IRS fucking up my return, they are now also going to fuck up my stimulus which will make me wait an additional three months for the stimulus, all because I filed my taxes on the first day I was able, which seems… super fucking fair.

Damn, that sucks.

Rumor has it, we should expect the deadline to be extended until June 15th.