Bailout / Stimulus Discussion (Hints Missed & Shartz Fired)

This is more or less what I called for in the summer/fall though. We should have forced him into a position on CARES/HEROES by passing extensions daily. I specifically said that.

Whether Trump backed it or not was irrelevant imo. We just need a “Dems are for giving you money, Republicans are against it,” message.

I agree but that’s the whole point. Dems passed HEROES to show their base “Hey look, we tried, they won’t vote on it. What can we do? :man_shrugging:

If they wanted people to know about it, they’d know about it. So discussing this other strategy is just continuing to pretend they actually want to help people.

Nah no way. The media would run stories about it the whole week, even Fox would fuck up and put up a graphic about how awful it was that highlighted how the Dems wanted to give us all money.

If the GOP shot it down they’d have voted against giving front line heroes money. If we really wanted to put them in the cage we’d include firefighters and maybe even cops as some of the heroes. I know giving cops extra money for showing up to work to harass/beat/jail/kill good people sucks, but they’re doing it anyway and the GOP can’t vote against money for cops. I’d trade an extra $600/wk in their pockets for stimulus for all, $600/wk for unemployed and $600/wk for frontline workers.

Then I’d win the Senate and fuck their shit up big-time.

But this is all fantasyland.

1 Like

Yeah I wasn’t trying to suggest caving in July and Nunn was right, I’m just saying they should have taken the 1.8t deal which almost everyone here was also against.

Also I’m not putting any faith in pelosi… I said she’s complicit. I’m just saying if they were trying to play good politics they should have taken it and thus we were wrong in saying to not take the 1.8T. I mostly based mine off the polls, which were horribly wrong.

Always nice when expecting your political party to mean what they say they mean is fantasyland. I really am done with the eDems. Trump isn’t going to be president and the priority is now defeating the old people in both parties.

We definitely need to bring back mandatory retirement ages economy wide. There’s absolutely no reason anyone over the age of 65 should hold any position with real power at any organization they don’t totally own… and even if they do they should be stepping away from the day to day as nearly all the founders of huge corporations tend to do without being legally required to. They lose a step, it stops being fun, and they retire to their private island only to be consulted when something big is going on. They also tend to be MUCH more talented people than Nancy Pelosi.

Don’t @ me about glorifying billionaires being MUCH more talented than Nancy in her dotage is not a huge accomplishment.

1 Like

I agreed with you completely about their failures while you were posting them, it’s obvious they don’t give a shit.

I disagree about the heros act though. It just had too much shit in it to message it well with. Did you read the part about how Nancy put it together? Knowing that there was 0 chance the senate would pass it, it should have been a VERY simple bill.

Money to everyone. Frontline workers, unemployed, and fat stimulus checks. Only put shit in there the voters care about, make it simple, and hammer away at that shit. When you tried to explain the hero’s act to people their eyes glazed over and they were like why the fuck do we need all that extra shit, just gives us fucking money we need help.

I can’t tell you how many arguments I got from not even Trumpists on facebook, but even dems and legit neutral people who were like why the fuck do dems have all this other shit in there? Neither side wants to pass shit and are putting stuff in there to make it hard to pass.

Like dems failed on the messaging on the heros act for sure, but part of it was it was flawed in the first place. If it had been a clean and simple and easy bill that they had passed recently it would have taken off on its own. It would be all over social media and the news.

Everyone I saw arguing on FB was arguing why they couldn’t just pass a bill that gave people help and why did it need all this extra shit. Like yes we needed that extra shit but people are dumb and did not understand that and blamed that for why it didn’t pass and thus blamed both parties.

1 Like

This. Just this.

Yes, there are a lot of other things that need to be done. But those are all non-starters if you don’t get power in the first place.

Pick an amount. Pass a bill that says that much money for every man, woman and child in the country. Put absolutely nothing else in that bill.

The messaging is simple.

Do complicated/controversial stuff AFTER you win the messaging war and the subsequent election.

2 Likes

Dems need to adopt a mindset of permanent campaign and a messaging war without end. They shouldn’t compartmentalize between pre-election and post-election behavior.

Trump would have won IMO.

I mean yeah, sure, if we want to continue discussing this world where they are good faith operators fighting for what’s right… A simple bill would be best. But I’m pretty sure some of us, myself included, advocated for literally passing a bill of just $X,XXX in stimulus, $600/mo in CARES unemployment, $600/mo for front line/essential workers. Make it run through at least March. I could probably find a receipt ITT.

If the Senate caves, great. You got help through March, now try to win the election by taking credit. If not, you win by blaming the GOP, and then you add in the other stuff and pass it.

I still like my bill of just give everybody $10k, literally everybody. Just born yesterday? here’s your $10k!

3 Likes

Yeah I would pass that now in the House, it’s optimal strategy for sure.

1 Like

The senate DID vote down the stimulus bill

They still won the senate.

1 Like

wat? that’d be news to me. They never voted on a second stimulus afaik

Their vote was fuck you no die in the streets.

I saw a claim in the past week that the president of the senate (Kamala) can somehow force things to come up for a vote.

Lawbros?

Dems: But why should billionaires get 10k? And what about the people not even born yet - how would that be fair to them?

3 Likes

No it would be

My dad just died how is that fair to him he didn’t get his

It’s really unfair that all those people that died of bacterial infections before antibiotics.

Ban Penicillin!

3 Likes

Same argument I’ve seen against canceling student loans

A bunch of selfish people in the world.

1 Like

That’s what all the internet memes currently are about. I paid mine so suffer like I did.

Of course no recognition that the cost of college has gone up many fold.

1 Like

I’d give this 100 hearts if I could. So fucking angry today for so many reasons but that made me laugh. Thanks.

Thx. I don’t why they can’t just pass the HEROES act every week and then run ads saying to call Mitch.

1 Like