Auto Repair

Mine is also a supercrew. It’s just the 4.6L though. Not looking for a replacement. If I were getting another pickup I’d probably get a 3/4 ton 4wd as I’m thinking about getting a Truck Camper and overlanding. I’ll still do it with mine, it’d just be better to be rated for more weight and 4wd. Gl.

Good plan. We just bought a '14 F150 Screw with a max tow package to tow our impending travel trailer. Those 5.4 engines will run forever but they’re a bit gutless for towing any weight.

1 Like

What does your manual say about the Service Engine Light? I think they mainly indicate something related to emissions which is why I thought pcv valve or vacuum. In my car, I had fuel filter/pressure regulator issues that caused a loss of power. But a fuel pump that’s going bad could cause that too. Have you noticed any change in fuel efficiency?

I just watched a YT video of a guy who pulled his mass air flow sensor out and cleaned it with a can of MAF cleaner and reinstalled it. Light went out, but he also disconnected the battery before he did the work, so I have no idea if his repair really worked or if the code came back after driving it again. The dude responded to people making fun of him in the comments saying the light did not come back on, so I guess I’ll take his word for it.

1 Like

Absolutely not. And my mechanic has openly told me that he checks online forums when he has difficult problems to solve. I’ve done some DIY repairs based on shit I read about on forums. Go to an F-150 forum and tell them what’s up.

3 Likes

So, unless this guy is just lying, the Auto Zone people were lying/wrong and probably their free reader just wasn’t working. They did seem to be having computer problems. I’m gonna buy some kind of reader. I looked at the chupacabre posted - but maybe something I can pick up like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive/diagnostic-testing-scanning/code-readers-scanners/zr8-obd2-code-reader-with-live-data-63809.html

Graphing live data on screen seems pretty cool.

That opens a bit of a rabbit hole though:

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/SURYATEJA/black-box-obd-pi-using-raspberry-pi-e363aa

1 Like

Goddamn, Autozone just sells parts, why are you consulting them and not your mechanic. Don’t trust them to diagnose your problems.

I just wanted the code read. I don’t (yet) have a code reader. They let you borrow it, take it out to your car, bring it back in, plug it into their computer and tell you the code(s). Supposedly. I did just go there to buy a code reader and they asked if I wanted to use theirs. After failure to read I left to get more info from like the internet.

2 Likes

Bought a code reader. Cylinder 5 misfire.

4 Likes

Maybe you need new sparkplugs/coils, but surely your mechanic looked at those already.

1 Like

How many miles on the vehicle? Have you ever changed the transmission fluid and/or the fluid filter?

265k. Fluids have been changed. Pretty sure filters. I haven’t done it and generally just say yes to whatever because I trust the place I go to not to do extra stuff.

There was a vacuum problem that probably threw the light last time and they thought that was all of it because the light didn’t go back on immediately.

With the error code I have now, definitely thinking plug, coil or injector. No?

Spark plug wires are a possibility.

1 Like

Start with the easiest fix and work your way to the hardest. You can test the spark plug wires with an ohm meter if you have one.

2 Likes

Didn’t even see your post on the code. I would contact your mechanic and just tell them what you know now. Even good mechanics miss something every now and then or have an underling fk up.

Scroll down a bit on this site and a mechanic gives some pretty specific and succint advice on that code.

1 Like

Yeah, a simple multimeter is pretty cheap and indispensable. But you can first check to see if it’s not just a loose plug wire. Also check the wire insulation for cracks. These might not be visible but you can look and listen for arcing by running the engine in the dark. You can also run a grounded screw driver over the wire, but be careful doing it. You can find yt videos that show how.

2 Likes

I have 2006 f150 super crew with 5.4. I have had same problem you are having a couple times. First time I had the spark plugs replaced and that fixed the issue. This last time I had the coils replaced and fixed it.

I gotta say, as someone with a 12-year-old car who knows basically nothing about cars but does know how to use a multimeter and basic tools, the internet has been a godsend for me. I’ve had several problems that I’ve been able to solve without a mechanic just by consulting yootoobes and asking on internet forums. Even when I do have to go to the mechanic, I have a better grasp of what’s probably going wrong and what needs to be looked at and what doesn’t.

4 Likes

Someone tried to break into my MIL’s 2003 Accord 10 or so years ago and I looked at it and looked up an exploded diagram on the internet and called the dealer with the part number they needed to make the repair. Service writer argued with me for a few minutes over the “diagnosis” charge or $87. I stood firm and insisted that it was already diagnosed, just order the part and fix it. Had to repeat that 5 or 6 times before it sunk in. Also saved her $3200 when I came home one day and she was freaking out because the dealer wanted $3500 for a new transmission. Car was several years out of warranty but only had 27,000 miles on it. I called and spoke to the service manager and said I don’t care how many years out of warranty this thing is, it’s only got 27,000 miles on it. He caved immediately and did it for $300.

3 Likes

Cool. Being an electrical contractor I do indeed have a multimeter.