Are people who served in the military culpable for their actions?

Oh puhleeeeeease…for once, just once, in your self-important, self-righteous, underachieving, unfulfilled little life can you stop lecturing people?

Enough with this gaslighting bullshit. No one was glorifying either Skydiver or the US military either before or after Jal took a shit on her.

4 Likes

Some of them are heroes and some of them are selfless. Most of them are in it for the money because it’s the best thing they have available. Who we choose to glorify as a society is really gross, but that’s a conversation totally separate from whether it’s OK for people to start making moral judgements about large groups of people.

I think the key thing is to find new heroes. Replacement is much less traumatic than destruction of the whole slot. Maybe teachers and nurses this time instead of soldiers and cops?

It’s even harder to get people behind the idea that our foreign excursions are immoral if we are simultaneously telling all of the people that participated in them that they’re heroes who served our country honorably by participating in those excursions.

5 Likes

MC’s post was excellent and he’s a really good new(ish) poster here.

1 Like

My god, coming from you that’s an amazing thing to hear. You are by far far far the biggest case of someone on this forum who relentlessly and brainlessly and with supreme confidence spouts out bullshit without the foggiest idea of what they are talking about.

7 Likes

Therapy’s pretty awesome Jal.

Or time away from UP. One or the other.

4 Likes

Perhaps there’s a middle ground where we don’t consider them heroes but also don’t vilify them?

1 Like

No I’m not going to stop calling out various instances of isms when I see them. I’ll take this as your admission you know you messed up and move on, given that you posted and ninja-deleted a laughably weak defense that was going nowhere.

The short answer is because that group of posters is pathetic and just make stuff up and straw man away.

You’re right, of course I hate Blair, I’ve said so about 100 times itf and on 22. I want to see the ■■■■ in the dock at The Hague.

But these assholes itt don’t care about mere fact.

2 Likes

Wrong again Buster - I posted and ninja-deleted a reply that I mistakenly thought was to myself lol olds.

Come on SUB lol, don’t be mean. People make up all sorts of shit just to attack so why should I be polite?

Nobody is vilifying anyone. I worked for two law firms that did immoral shit - I did the best I could to get out of them as quickly as possible and into a less immoral job. I don’t talk about how proud I am of helping foreclose on people’s homes or representing deadbeat parents, I acknowledge they were bad jobs and that I was contributing to bad things by working there.

The argument here seems to be that asking members of the military to similarly reflect on their jobs is out of bounds. It’s bizarre.

13 Likes

Its also a form of using proper terms, since the military is referred to as “the Armed Services.”

I mean you sell your body to the government for a set term. It’s the white trash dude equivalent of being a stripper. Many of them come back significantly worse for the wear.

I don’t consider it to be their fault that the politicians are using them in stupid and evil ways. I don’t blame the truck driver on a chicken load for all the accumulated chicken suffering it represents either.

If anything I think we should be trying to widen the definition of ‘service’ in the aftermath of this pandemic. People who kept the grocery stores stocked in the middle of a pandemic at great personal risk didn’t serve? My wife, who is navigating a COVID outbreak in a long term care facility as I’m typing this isn’t serving?

Notice… they pay the military pretty well because we have to take care of those who serve. Let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwater here. Soldiers are serving. So are truckers. So are the people flipping the burgers and manning the drive thru windows. You don’t solve this by taking the service status from the soldiers and the cops… you solve it by giving it to way more people. This pandemic is an opportunity to do just that.

This post should be read like a dozen times by all the people here who imagine this thread is a vile attack on people in the military.

2 Likes

Dude somebody recently attacked me on UP claiming that I fuck my relatives, have erectile dysfunction and took joy in the potential of me spending Christmas alone and I didn’t rampage like this.

2 Likes

Holy shit what a complete lack of decorum and decency from you.

I am now supporting Trump.

12 Likes

Yeah that’s one long fucking sighhhhhhhhhhhh

1 Like

Well you know, each to their own. I’m quite enjoying how all the innate Trumpiness is finally coming out in a few turd posters here. :grin:

All it takes is a pop at an ex military person for glorification of the tools of war and they’re frothing at the mouth like it’s a MAGA rally c. 2016.