Amazon, the Catalyst of a Philosophical Hijack on "Human Nature"

I guess this is the place to discuss the enshittification of Amazon. Someone took a look at the “Best Sellers in Teen & Young Adult Contemporary Romance eBooks top 100 chart” and says they only found 19 books by authors, the rest are AI generated.

https://twitter.com/caitlynlynch6/status/1673215622753456129

They also make this claim about bots reading them, which I hadn’t heard:

This is where the click farms come in. They point bots at the book to read it in Kindle Unlimited… payout is $0.004 per page read, meaning a 400 page book pays $1.60. Several thousand bots vs. several thousand books = $$$$$ pretty fast.
That’s how these are ranking so high.

https://twitter.com/caitlynlynch6/status/1673648243471949824

At this point it’s hard for me to tell if Amazon or Google’s search is shittier. I ordered something earlier this month from Amazon and noticed it was the first thing I’d ordered from them all year. I really should cancel Prime right now, it’s amazing how I’ve just accepted that cost like a consumer dolt. I do like The Boys though.

1 Like

can’t lie, that’s pretty awesome thinking. have AI spew out 400 pages of nonsense, have 1,000 bots read it once each.

a good scheme like this is fun. yes, i know the actual kindle ebook writers lose out part of the pie, i just respect the ingenuity.

might be interesting how amazon combats it, doesn’t seem like it’ll get any easier. if you pay $10/month for a subscription and then have your bot read $100 worth of books (that you submitted and ‘own’), what are they gonna do?

AI is dumb af is my early impression lol

1 Like

oh they aren’t even trying to make it make sense :joy:

once they can, how does amazon fight having thousands of ai-written books being read at .004 cents per page by bots?

1 Like

Can I have AI write the first 75% of a novel, write a unique ending, edit to get out plot holes and inconsistencies, and publish?

1 Like

Not today, but you can do all that in 3 days with inspiration

I’m pretty sure we already have enough shitty human-written romance novels to satisfy demand for the rest of time, so freeing those authors to do basically anything else with their productive capacity is a win for society.

yeah, it just sucks for them. thought they found a hustle and some guy in vietnam ate their dinner.

fuck yeah