Amazon, the Catalyst of a Philosophical Hijack on "Human Nature"

Seems like the Solution is to eliminate all of the humans.

I mean the beginning, middle & end of this story is that Amazon’s market share is so out of control that they successfully dictate what individual sellers can charge elsewhere to ensure prices at Amazon are best, and all they gotta do is tell sellers they won’t have their item listed as a “Buy Box” option. That’s it! No threats to break legs, just not allowing their widget to get Buy Box preference, and that’s important enough that sellers comply en masse. And that’s harmful for American consumers.

Anti-trust angle here is completely obvious, not sure what there is to disagree over.

3 Likes

Maybe we should let Amazon perfect their system, then nationalize it.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1402222682943504389?s=19

I really appreciate your takes and your realism.

Belief is pretty important tho. Really comes down to what each person is willing to sacrifice to help achieve the world they perceive to be acceptable.

I work in an e-commerce warehouse and I pretty much only have a job because Amazon’s crazy and ever changing rules for FBA means my company needs a guy sitting in a warehouse in America preparing our products for FBA shipments so I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

Please for the love of god don’t make me go back to waiting tables I have ptsd I’m like Morgan freeman at the end of shawshank when he still asks for permission to use the bathroom. Everyone buy stuff online and please remember to format your apartment correctly when you enter in your address.

6 Likes

Up until last week humans enslaved each other like it was going out of style (which it did, so maybe they were on to something) but upon coming to the completion of this sentence I realize my post might be a tangent.

p.s. grunching obv duh

Question for the thread: Is BoredSocial getting pushback because of the overconfidence and/or his politics separate from his misanthropic pessimism and/or him starting another pan-Atlantic feud with Merry Old England?

What separates him from me other than those three things above?

I suppose my calling it “overconfidence” isn’t totally accurate; it’s more like, being confident that saying “humans suck” can be empirically quantified.

But that is a two-to-tango situation. Boredsocial says humans suck, other people ask, oh yeah, how do you know, Bored says “well look at my suckometer, the needle is in the red!” And then other people think they’re settling the affair by saying OK WELL YOUR METER NEEDS RECALIBRATING.

The only reason I’ve never gone as hard as him is because I believe it’s impossible to have any sort of serious objective discussion. I’d just go [jean-raplhio]Humans are the woOooOOOoOorst[/jean-ralphio] and then maybe post a GoT sweet-summer-child when I received any objections.

1 Like

The people arguing against you would be a who’s who of my forum bffs, but, uh, yeah.

2 Likes

We suck because up until last week humans killed each other like it was going out of style, and darwinism is a thing, so every good person has long been culled. Every one of us is directly descended from stone cold killers and somebody out there can say that their great-great- … -great-grandfather wiped the last good man’s bloodline from existence.

I’ll go one further. You all know we’re the only life like ours in the entire universe, right? There’s not even a Great Filter like the theorists imagine, preventing some sort of transcendence and subsequent interstellar contact. There’s nothing at all like us, because life in any form is an anomaly of an anomaly and life getting to the point of us, sitting here typing words on an internet forum, having the audacity to proclaim our inherent goodness, is an anomaly of that anomaly. Way out there on some habitable exoplanet there’s a dumb and cruel ape who is picking up a tool and beating another ape to death, and it pretty much ends there. They don’t go on to invent an internet and wax philosophically about their inherent goodness. Their fish watch from the sea and then their sun supernovas.

We’re a universe-defying accident because life wasn’t meant to get to the point where it can contemplate the inherent horror of the very concept of life itself. Picking up tools and bashing others’ brains in was meant to be the failsafe killswitch to prevent that.

1 Like

Boredsocial is a fucking rookie.

It’s interesting seeing hundreds of posts on the philosophy of history, historiography and the prehistory of violence. These are well worn topics in the social sciences.

The spear in the head argument was just bad historiography. Anecdote just isn’t very convincing data for drawing broad history patterns. Nonetheless, Evidence does suggest prehistory was much more violent than today.

It’s also a stretch to take this fact and use it to suggest something like “humans are inherently bad”. All animals are violent to some degree. If anything, I would think moral philosophy and psychology has demonstrated over and over that human are uniquely good, if we are defining good as something like altruistic, willing to act for the greater good ect. If only because we have a near unique ability to project into the future and live within a complex cultural system not matched anywhere else in the animal kingdom.

This book is a nice summary

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/humans-evolved-to-be-peaceful-why-are-we-still-so-violent/2019/01/25/05571f80-1040-11e9-84fc-d58c33d6c8c7_story.html

I’ve never killed anyone, at least not directly, even before last week. I think I currently only vaguely know one person who has, but he seems decent enough, it’s just that at one point when he was young (Vietnam War) people with guns and prisons ordered him to kill.

I think the rest of your post is probably rightish though. I don’t think there’s an expectation for all the apes to beat each other to death with clubs, but there are enough apes willing to do it that things like societies and governments and leaders and nuclear weapons are incompatible with life.

Of course you haven’t, most haven’t, but that hardly matters in this context. The killing’s already been done and these are the last days.

Ok I should probably dial it back a bit.

Most days I take a walk along the river where the ducks, geese and swans live I’ll see one or more acts of unnecessary territorial aggression between ducks as one paddles harmlessly past another’s patch.

By the time I’ve retuned home I’ve probably seen ten times as many humans as ducks and not a single act of aggression between humans.

But ducks are cute and have feathers while people are weird looking gangly fuckers so ok.

Jalfrezi Attenborough

4 Likes

a) All species suck b) humans just have a constant implied threat of violence towards one another, i.e. mutually assured destruction.

— Team Meteor