Afghanistan Wars: The Taliban Strikes Back.

The point is it’s not your perogative. Well it is clearly, but it shouldn’t be. The US government is one of the most dysfunctional organisations in existence and responsible for more pain and suffering in the world than 50 Taliban’s and 3 mega Hitler’s. We shouldn’t have mass murderers making the call on matters of morality. The question of the delicate balance of intervention in dangerous situation Vs the possible harm done you say? Let’s leave the decision up to the 100 most dead eyed psychopaths in the whole country. I’m sure they’ll do what’s best.

3 Likes

A debate about should the US stay is hopelessly abstract, I think. If the US had stayed for a few more years then the Taliban would still have taken the ground it has recently, just more slowly and with less coverage, as it took the large swathes of the country it already held a few months back. Also, even if the US occupation was actually creating a new and independent Afghan state, then they would still have pulled out now or in the near future as it’s incredibly unpopular with everyone but those getting rich off the military budget (which has plenty of other opportunities anyway).

To me, part of the reason everyone feels able to mouth off about it at the moment, and so it’s suddenly very visible, is precisely because we passed the point that anything else could happen some time ago. So e.g. the UK military can spend their time trying to argue for re-engagement safe in the knowledge it will absolutely not happen.

Portugal and Spain?

C4 news (left of centre) last night interviewed an Afghan school head teacher there who said she was happy the US and British were there. There’s a wide range of views in the country, as in all countries, and I agree it’s a naive and quite insulting take to assume that far-flung people are homogenic by saying things like “If they didn’t want the Taliban …”

That word “they” has been used for centuries to justify all sorts of bullshit.

2 Likes

South Korea.

Probably Cuba too at some point, though hardly unilateral.

Not really fair to call the UK a democracy until 1918 or so. War was related to that happening, but it wasn’t exactly forced by war. Also maybe the US doesn’t count as remotely democratic until 1920. Maybe not until the 1960s even.

2 Likes

Chilé?

Bolivia

East Germany

Mongolia

Italy

What year? Because if it’s 1946 that’s not the game we’re playing.

Yes… I though you’se were playing democracys created after 1900 and included Italy.

authoritarian governments that changed without war.

1 Like

The battle for Kabul has started. Germany starts rescue flights on monday because sunday is a holy off day.

1 Like

Some countries in Africa but definitely not Algeria.

Kenya and India don’t meet the spirit of the question.

Apparently the government want a peaceful transfer of power to the Taliban to avoid more casualties in Kabul.

Grunch but holy shit, just amazing job to everyone involved. 20 fucking years and just absolutely nothing to show for it.

But also this:

https://twitter.com/SeanMcCarthyCom/status/1426006650033410049

7 Likes