Activism

Def saturday for me

So far the only yeses are me and jmakin. I know thereā€™s another maybe. Anyone else? I will bring at least one person, but I sorta feel lukewarm about this until/unless we get two more yeses.

Anyone else?

Idk. Iā€™m thinking if we donā€™t get like 4 unstuckers on board min, itā€™s a no-go for lack of interest.

@jmakin - what do you think?

Maybe noon PST deadline for two more rsvps?

Yea, looks unlikely though. Itā€™d be fun too to just have a meetup.

I can make banners.

1 Like

Maybe try for it with a little notice? I was thinking it would be good if it were right away in the Biden admin - send a message that weā€™re not burying our heads - but a couple few weeks might still count as early enough.

Another kind of activism is to volunteer for organizations like the Trevor Project.

https://www.thetrevorproject.org/get-involved/volunteer/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjKqABhDLARIsABbJrGmiSV4s6mZfl5kpQzEo_u46yF_h5RtftuPxBjREZa5QTBMz2TERAPIaAiP0EALw_wcB

We help no one if weā€™re so miserable that we give up and stop fighting. This is a way to support the most vulnerable activists among us. And it is its own kind of activism fighting against any kind of transphobia, homophobia, etc.

Plus, like, a few of us might find it refreshing to engage in something other than anti-powers-that-be activism. Which is no less important but is only one kind of activism you might point your efforts toward. It may not even be the one your talents are best suited to help move forward.

2 Likes

trying to figure out how to make a banner from a post - seems like I can only pin a topic up there.

Right, you have to pin the topic, make it a banner, and then the text from OP will appear in the banner, so you can either edit microā€™s OP for this topic with the relevant info and then link to the posts where you start discussing the ICE action, or start a new topic with the info in the OP.

Thank you

1 Like

The Trevor project is awesome. I have donated a couple times. My brother works with them in Oregon too. Canā€™t recommend enough.

1 Like

Yeah I gotta take my car in for maintenance this saturday.

Iā€™m down for next saturday or anytime after. I will make it this time. This is one group I know takes covid serious so not worried about that.

I donā€™t think Iā€™m good for the following weekend, but nothing booked after that.

Anyone who is interested in the SoCal protesting socially extra-distanced meet-up should just post that they are maybe interested and weā€™ll try to work out the date we can get the most people. We could come up with slogans and signs in the mean time.

Do we want to put Unstuckpolitics on the signs? Wear the t-shirts?

Posted in the other thread, my wife wants COVID to settle down before I go on excursions like this.

Also, there are t-shirts? I donā€™t know anything about anything.

Also do we want to put this out there on social media? Basically just my fb. I got lots of hippy friends who are also big on this stuff and i could possibly get some more people.

Yeah, I posted like a thousand times. I had t-shirts made. It took like a year. They are sourced as ethically as I could (partially worker owned company in the US made the t-shirts, a local artisan printed them, and my younger daughter did the art). I have a few left. They are for sale on kroshopkin.com, but you should check directly with me for sizes and colors available.

1 Like

My older daughter also asked if I wanted her to invite people. If we have some notice and a firm date we should, but also we will need to pick a time and place. We were just gonna wing that.

1 Like

Well what colors and sizes do you have?

Also why is a cat petting a dove?

1 Like

Well more is obviously better so lets set a date. Maybe give it a few days to see who is all in here and what works for everyone then set it.

We will have several generations represented. I think that would be super cool.

I have a big sad that people didnā€™t even know about them.

Itā€™s supposed to be subtle enough that even the normie dems wonā€™t really get it, but the cat is Sabo. The poster Sabo here is named after that cat. Itā€™s a symbol of the Industrial Workers of the World, an anarchistish union. Sabo is short for ā€œsabotageā€ and that word itself derives from the French word for a wooden shoe which workers might put into the gears of the machines of the factories that ā€œownedā€ the product of their labor.

The dove is a symbol of peace. Itā€™s not an entirely friendly petting there. Itā€™s meant to be somewhat menacing.

I did not expect this to be obvious even to people here - though I have posted about it.

Right now I have:

(1) xl light blue
(1) xl brown
(1) xl green
(2) large light blue
(2) large green