Accommodating a disability

Unfortunately the ADA can create a minefield of responsibilities that are not always common sense. Running things past a lawyer just makes sure you don’t stumble into something you didn’t know about no matter how pure your intentions were.

As for the op, I would be surprised if the law and/or precedent requires the use of a specific interpreter.

I think it’s good he is advocating for his client. It is also good to know as his potential agent that this is how he plans to advocate for his, and potentially your client.

I would be concerned that it is pretty confrontational which I assume is not the best way to acquire roles for your clients.

Don’t you think it would be a disadvantage if you were competing for a job and all the other candidates got to talk but you had to type?

I’ve got nothing to add to OP’s situation, but this reminds me of a convo I had with a lawbro a while back. Apparently the ADA may require some businesses’ websites to be complaint so that people with visual and/or hearing impairment can use them. He seems to suggest that there were a lot of unsettled questions when it comes to the ADA and website accommodations. However, suing business websites for not accommodating people with visual impairments is apparently a thing that is happening. Or at least that is the impression I came away with.

I meant to do a deeper dive at some point, but never got around to it. Seems like quite the can of worms. Anyone have any experience with this?

1 Like

The last thing I did at work was making a bunch of stuff accessible for screen readers.

Dumb question, but what’s a screen reader?

Edit: OK, so it’s something chrome can just automatically do?

Reads stuff aloud for the visually impaired.

Many, maybe most, websites are concerned about accessibility.

The user would have the reading software. There are just things on websites that make them more or less accessible. A simple example is images either have an “alt” tag which describes them or they don’t. A site with a lot of images conveying info can be impossible to navigate for screen readers, or maybe possible if the meta info is included.

Thanks. I don’t know about the details of this but what about things like photos and diagrams. Do they have to have detailed descriptions that the screen reader can use? And if they don’t are they not compliant?

Also if it’s just reading the text on a website, I assume that’s not too hard to make compliant.

Edit: just saw your last response, thanks.

1 Like

College disability services centers will have a person whose entire job pretty much is typing out descriptions of charts, diagrams, and the like. For exams, power points slides, readings, etc.

Back in the day of browsing on early versions of Netscape, I would turn images off and it annoyed me when people didn’t include alt text.

can confirm this is true

I have definitely seen stories about this both from the lawsuit perspective and from website updates to be compliant.

In fact I recently read about a fairly large site that disabled all access to a big part of their site until they could make it compliant. There are already so many standards to use when creating websites (ie compliant for x,y,z browser) that I don’t think additional requisites for the ADA would be too burdensome.