ACAB (formerly G Floyd) - Tyre Nichols video released, it's bad

Fwiw its still currently used to mean cat in parts of (most of?) England.

British show from the 70’s

I’ve already said clovis’ side is likely the winner, but toxic dudebros using it to assert a lack of toughness is the exact point I’m saying is not rooted in misogyny. I have spent a huge part of my career supervising crews of dumb young men on construction sites, most of whom were incredibly sexist and absolutely loaded with masculine insecurity. I have heard the word used many many many times in many different contexts. At times it can be used in ways to directly say somebody is womanlike, but usuaully that is not the case.

If I call you a pussy because you won’t go on the roof without a safety harness I am not accusing you of being feminine. If I say you’re a pussy when you ask for help lifting something heavy I’m not saying you’re girlish. In both cases I am absolutely attacking your masculinity, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I am bringing any other gender into the discussion. The existence of women isn’t required for the word to have its intended meaning, and for the men who use the word to insult other men that distinction matters.

Sure, if you actually said someone was feminine there’d have to be a fight.

Is there anything else you want to tell people not to be offended about?

Then there’s an extended sense, glossed as " slang (chiefly N. Amer. ). A sweet or effeminate male; (in later use chiefly) a weakling, a coward, a sissy. Also: a male homosexual", with the earliest citations from the first half of the 20th century

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=24012

Whatever. I’m still going to be fond of calling Trump a “pussy” whenever possible.

How much heat do you want? It doesn’t sound like a good idea for a news article, if it was testifying in court that’d be something else. We don’t agree on much but I’m not interested in things being more difficult for you than they already are.

2 Likes

Do not let them print your name. You’re white so you have a decent chance of surviving but not worth risking over a newspaper article.

The power is still there without using your name. If they won’t publish without it I’m still leaning towards no but understand your point of view. Right now you have choice in how and when you support your causes to a certain extent. Publishing your name will reduce that level of control to some extent.

1 Like

Can’t spell oppressed without press

1 Like

Can they describe you without your name and exact job? Or as a white long haul trucker without your name?

Pretty good chance if they print your name, any asshole who wants to can find your address. It only takes one lunatic to decide to try to kill you.

If knowing all that you do still want to do it, that’s your call obviously, but imo explore other options that still make the story powerful. The main reason to reveal your name that hasn’t been mentioned would be so national media could find and interview you.

But the fact that they could should demonstrate why it carries a safety risk.

2 Likes

I agree with all of this. I feel that revealing your identity when speaking out about police/prison guard abuse could be pretty dangerous, especially if you happen to end up in custody again.

Can you us an alias but still be described as a white truck driver?

1 Like

Its good effects may be tempered by how many people see a gay guy instead of a trucker.

It’s kind of scary thinking what police departments around the country will do once covid is over and it has killed off a good portion of the prison labor industry because we treat them as sub human while locked up. Having people locked up is big business in this country and the ghoulish lobbyists and system will push to bring those numbers back up

https://twitter.com/adamkraymond/status/1332343602836541442?s=21

1 Like

The days when police ever wear their names may be numbered and it can easily become illegal to film or identify police (so, like secret police). But for now:

Make him famous! This corrupt cops name is: E Wescott of the Jeffersontown Police. (James E. Wescott) Chief of Police: Richard Sanders Jeffersontown Police Department (502) 267-0503 http://jeffersontownky.com/125/Police-Department… Bill Dieruf Mayor of Jeffersontown (502) 267-8333

4 Likes

if I’m remembering correctly the people at that time weren’t trying to “make him famous” they were hoping to have him and his family physically attacked. Besides, it’s clear that forum is alright with this kind of bullshit so knock yourself out.

Maybe if those mod actions were reported in a mod thread I would be able to tell that a post I’ve already read and commented on was deleted. I wasn’t welcome the first time I commented on doxxing cops so I’m sure as shit not going back into that thread.

Shut the fuck up