about problem posters thread(s)

Should we have threads that are meant to list bad posters? (as opposed to dealing with problems as they come up). I think they breed hostility and create more problems than they could possibly solve.

• yes
  • no

0 voters

Since we don’t have any moderation, they are necessary since we go by community rule.

If someone is causing a problem you can always start a thread about it. It’s good that there’s a little barrier to such a thing. I think a standing thread about problem posters is just a festivus thread that makes this place worse.

5 Likes

There aren’t enough bad posters here to warrant shaming them into better posting, and everyone knows about anachronistic anyway.

Oops, I did what I wasn’t supposed to do.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that thread be the exact scenario you think doesn’t belong here?

2 Likes

It should be rare. Hardly anyone starts threads. It’s a real barrier. If you have a big enough problem with some poster, then start a thread about it. That won’t happen much and if you’re doing it often, people will have a problem with you. A bad posters thread is just an invitation for anyone to drop by and say “X sucks”.

3 Likes

Yes, though a thread to discuss anachronistic is not really the thing. If you want anachronistic banned you should make the case for it and put up a poll. I know we don’t have precise standards for banning someone, but if a lot of people vote for it and very few vote against it, I think some mod would feel confident about taking action.

If you just want to complain about a poster, I don’t think you should do it at all on the forum.

1 Like

That’s an interesting problem in theory. In the real world we have anachronistic, a poster a lot of people ignore, who causes almost no problem vs. long feuds between large sets of regular posters that occasionally erupt dividing up the community and sometimes leading to dramatic flame outs. I think it’s best if people are not encouraged to complain about each other.

1 Like

Then make that post about banning anachronistic. Don’t set up a repository for complaining about posters just because of it and have half the people talking about how they hate Clovis and half talking about how they hate Sabo.

1 Like

It’s a blessing for you that you have a thick skin, but most people don’t like being called stupid.

No one said anything about barring people. I think it’s a bad idea to encourage it. That’s why I mentioned it being good that there was a barrier to do it, like having to start a new thread.

Again, I didn’t say ban it, just don’t have a permanent repository for it.

1 Like

I understand mb thinks it becomes an attraction for that conversation. But is that really what’s going on?

Seems similar to any general thread that a topic is brought up and discussed, how does that vary much if there’s individual threads?

I think it being confined to one thread is better than potentially getting overrun with multiple ones. When walrus after walrus was running, what would it have looked like if instead it was multiple problem poster threads?

You can say that wouldn’t happen, but is the problem posters thread currently a big isssue - or are you similarly trying to ward one off?

A generalized thread where anyone can get discussed also keeps the impression of a silent majority (intimidated to start a thread) somewhat at bay.

I think it is a magnet for problems.

Mainly I think it got to the point where it had to be a community decision.

At least one mod seemed to feel like the decision had gotten too big to make and admin was both making decisions that probably should be mod decisions and saying they didn’t want to make mod decisions.

1 Like

I had deleted the posts bc French BBV isn’t in my normal routine yet.

Was starting to read so wasn’t posting from ignorance. Just disregard the above for now. It’s a flame war, I see that.

You guys can make as many threads about me as you like. I’m not going to post any better.

8 Likes

LMFAO. Could you explain to me like I was a 5yo, and in 25 words or less how…

A thread where the “cool kids” gather to defame their fellow UnStuckers ~ behind their backs; where the “cool kids” gather to whine about fellow UnSers because some posts are causing the “cool kids” problems ~ behind their backs; and where the “cool kids” gather to Star Chamber their fellow UnSers because the “cool kids” have decided they “should do about it” ~ behind their backs

… is any different than any other bad posters thread?

• They are different because one has “problem” in the title -vs- one has “dumpster” in the title… like duh
  • There is some substantive difference (please explain in a post)
0 voters

Here are four bad poster threads, two from 2+2, and two from UnStuck…

1. Bad Poster thread “A”: Politics Forum Festivus Celebration – AIRING OF GRIEVANCES – DO NOT POST ITT W/O READING OP
  2. Bad Poster thread “B”: Other than chezlaw, Dueces, DIB, and ikestoys ~ Who are the Bad Politards Posters (v2)?
  3. Bad Poster thread “C”: Problem posters discussion thread
  4. Bad Poster thread “D”: This thread is just an unreal dumpster fire

The following quote is from which one these four bad poster threads (the SNs have been changed)…

• A
  • B
  • C
  • D
0 voters

Shame Trolly !!!1!,

Did you read a single voice from the “cool kids” around here who would support MissileDog or be in any way for keeping MissileDog here? Did any of the “cool kids” around here see anywhere anything that we should keep MissileDog for entertainment purposes or any other purposes?

I mean… I think it is pretty decided.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Ohhhhh, boy.

MissileDog managed to get perma banned from About Forum. It is an absolute rare achievment. I don’t think that we manage to bore MissileDog out.

But I agree that MissileDog should not be forced to reveal who he/she was on 2+2.

Can the “cool kids” around here finally ban MissileDog? Do any of the “cool kids” around here want to keep MissileDog?

??? DO IT DO IT DO IT!

IMPOSE YOUR WILL! DO IT!
Fk the democracy! You are a smart dude, take the power and use it!

Ban MissileDog !!!1!

LMFAO !!!11

Some people see the problem posters thread as a thread for nominating users who may need to be subjected to community moderation.

That’s less than 25 words. Does it work as intended? That’s debatable. Are people who use the thread being wimps for not just starting a thread about the specific poster, calling them out by name in the thread title?

A star chamber is a secret proceeding. A problem posters thread is not hidden. Maybe we should make it a custom that we should @ any poster criticized in such a thread, just to make it clear that it is not an attempt to discuss someone behind their back.

I don’t think people will be deterred from complaining about other posters due to lack of a dedicated thread. Since people don’t like to start threads, these complaints will just end up as side track discussions in other threads, which is worse than having a containment thread.

1 Like