About Moderation (old original thread)

What do you want me to elaborate on? We had like 150 lefty people here from all over the world who participated regularly. We should probably be doing something constructive with this project, particularly in the face of our disturbing political climate. The one person who apparently has experience in this area spent most of his time trolling the rest of the group.

2 Likes

They are the handful of people who only come back to cause drama. Iā€™m not referring to AQ and generally not referring to you, although I thought your post at Aofrantic was waaaaay out of line.

I mean heā€™s the most aggressive and abrasive poster here, and has been for years. If he knocked that off and posted sincerely, heā€™d eventually get along ok with most people imo.

He and a few others only come back to troll the site, filibuster polls, and cause drama. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m referring to. They have no interest in anything constructive here - as you say heā€™s written it off. Then he should write it off already and leave it be!

95% of people here donā€™t lob personal attacks at others ~at all. What youā€™re referring to is the continuing drama with people only coming back to cause drama. Thereā€™s no both sidesing that at this point.

Like jman only personally attacks the people you refer to as ā€œothersā€ and he keeps eating bans and I donā€™t see much drama about it from anyone.

1 Like

Itā€™s really incredible the way people latch onto this. The same as when people call him ā€œliteral hero of the peopleā€ to tear him down. The only reason I brought up that heā€™s an IRL organizer, was to counter Clovisā€™s claim that he had no actual values or beliefs beyond trolling, that he doesnā€™t actually believe anything he wrote here, and in fact is on conservative boards using the N word as we speak, waiting for the perfect moment to troll them.

But instead yā€™all view it as an out of context holier than thou type deal. Same as when anyone says ā€œhey wait a minute, thatā€™s kinda transphobic.ā€ It has to be an attack and a ploy to end the argument and to say youā€™re bad and Iā€™m good. I guess youā€™re trying to imagine what it would mean if you said those words, therefore itā€™s what I must mean.

Anyway, an extra reason this is funny, is the failure rate of organizing. Anyone whoā€™s tried to organize before would say ā€œthatā€™s not weird at all, wtfā€

So? What you did was completely outside of the bounds of co-moderating. Didnā€™t even ask me my perspective or reasoning. Again, explaining to Alex why I quit: you made it clear I had fake moderator buttons and you would reverse me without even consulting me. Why bother with the hassle?

So heā€™s your subordinate, and you should unilaterally fix his ā€œmistakesā€?

Thatā€™s the only time Iā€™ve been banned since coming back, and it was for flagging a post not even posting something.

Can you cite a few examples of me complaining about bans or mod action in 2022? Maybe when Keeed was a mod, but Iā€™m not even sure then.

Iā€™ve complained plenty about certain posters and offered suggestions and ideas on how we could improve things, but I havenā€™t made a habit of complaining about bans since coming back.

Sabo is not really like-minded politically with most of this forum, but he also was just trying to chat and didnā€™t consider this forum to be organizing. If this were a factory floor and we were all workers he wouldnā€™t be doing all the silly !1!!!11!!! business. Itā€™s a shame that the 100-150 people couldnā€™t tolerate one person saying things like Abolish Landlords? or Abstain from Voting? at least if they didnā€™t behave themselves perfectly.

1 Like

Quite the opposite. I was hoping he would put in a good faith effort of being a mod to help mend bridges. Everything I witnessed was the complete opposite.

What did I do that was bad faith?

Should I have talked to Keed first? Yes. I didnā€™t because everything that happened lef me to believe he didnā€™t give a shit about being an unbiased mod.

There is a new thread about this every month or so. Iā€™ve started half a dozen of them.

Crickets.

Every time.

The purpose of this board is to get some rage hits and work in some virtue signalling and ā€œIā€™m smartā€ confirmation feels.

Thatā€™s not an attack and Iā€™m not saying Iā€™m above it. Itā€™s just how it is. Even trying to describe this phenomenon just results in a dozen people getting furious about how abhorrent it is to suggest, without judgment, that they value entertaining themselves at restaurants and trips and so forth so far above political action, that theyā€™re not even willing to play around with finding a balance, but instead itā€™s 100% and 0% and thatā€™s just the way it is and Iā€™m an asshole for pointing it out

6 Likes

Itā€™s not something Iā€™m latching on to. We knew he was an IRL organizer for a long time before you brought it up recently. Unlike Clovis I think heā€™s sincere about his beliefs, but itā€™s a legitimate point that I wish he and others who spend all their time trolling and creating drama would reflect on.

You had previously dismissed a flag on one of your posts, it caused an RFC, and you agreed not to do it again and this the RFC effort was dropped, and the norm/rule was established that mods couldnā€™t act on flags on their own posts.

Then like a week or whatever it was later, you not only acted on a flag on your own post by dismissing it, you also banned me for flagging it. Two things that are ā€œillegalā€ on UP.

Now somehow Tilted is the one whoā€™s out of line for reversing your illegal action without discussing it with you first? Lol come on the retconning is absurd.

Last but not least this all stemmed from you unilaterally creating a rule about acceptable posting, threatening to ban me if I broke it, then breaking it yourself the same night! Thatā€™s what I flagged your post for.

You were using mod powers to troll the forum and it didnā€™t work. Nice try, and Iā€™m sure you had some laughs along the way, but trying to rewrite history now is laughable.

2 Likes

I was sadly influenced by people for years going KEEEEED but Iā€™ve come to realize

11 Likes

Itā€™s funny because I started that thread, but everyone just assumed it was a Sabo quarantine area, with posts excised from elsewhere, mine happening to be the first

I wonder if Iā€™d said Abolising Landlording would anyone have budged on their assertion that it was a call to mass murder

1 Like

I assure you we are more politically like-minded than a random collection of people off the street or in a factory.

Despite his trolling, he was tolerated just fine, and the banning was not due to Abolish Landlords or anything like that. There was some straw poll around that time period where he had a 2:1 advantage over Clovis in popularity.

What happened?

People came into this forum with ideas of how they wanted this place to be, mostly in terms of how they wanted it to be different from 2+2. No one has gotten what they dreamed of. The point of disillusionment came for different people at different times. I could see some element of truth in both sides, but one side lost me by wanting to ban Sabo and the other side lost me by deciding that churchill was a hill worth dying on.

Is compromise possible? I donā€™t know. People will have to give up some of their hopes. Without referencing the other side, without putting it in terms of what you do not want it to be, what do you want this place to be? I expect most of you to skim past this and look for opportunities to fight, but maybe some of you will surprise me and give an honest and thorough answer.

I find the search for hypocrisy so strange. why do people think it proves something if they find it? it gets to a point where just the declaration of finding hypocrisy appears to be a winner in their eyes.

5 Likes

literally was told it was fine:

Describing this as some sort of massive complaint is dumb. Stop. I didnā€™t say shit. Other people talked about how I was posting elsewhere. A mod changed their mind.