About Moderation (old original thread)

well shit, PM me, I always have time and energy for that sort of thing

1 Like

This isn’t really a log of key moderator actions kind of thing until a moderator has done some action.

The thread where this stuff makes more sense was locked and people seem to dislike starting new threads. Maybe a mod can prune this thread to start a catch-all mega-thread for general questions, whinging, and derails about moderation. And then, of course, log doing it ITT.

1 Like

Yeah I posted here because I couldn’t easily find any other mod-related thread and it looked like a bunch of posts had already gone past the ostensible subject of the thread.

1 Like

Flag the posts and let the mods take a look. I don’t see everything here. You don’t have to make a case to the person being racist, but a few words to us will help.

Seems pretty reasonable.

3 Likes

Agreed, don’t see why any moderator action was needed here

1 Like

Wait what? I meant the ban was reasonable. The posting was not… not sure how you think it is.

1 Like

Let me explain: keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

2 Likes

Oh, it all makes sense to me now.

It’s not that hard to say the same thing without calling people c***s and fucking morons. The site took a vote and doesn’t want personal attacks. I know that’s vague and “that post strikes me as less than 100% true” actually means the same thing as “you’re a fucking liar”, but watevs decided to post in a way that is pretty hard to defend - given the no personal attacks vote. And, fwiw, I think it’s a good idea if everyone were nicer, including the people like @clovis8 who can’t help shitting on watevs just about every single day.

Also, this convo doesn’t belong here and I’m going to move it.

1 Like

Same old story - the cops sticking up for each other and brushing each others’ prejudices under the carpet.

1 Like

Yeah well there’s a good reason he doesn’t want anyone to use the word ■■■■■ :laughing:

2 Likes

For a long time he was a prosecutor in fact - by day, pushing for severe sentences for black people; by night, self-righteous internet liberal.

3 Likes

Marty I don’t know if you are just being purposely obtuse at this point but it’s been explained to you 100 times. The c word is not considered offensive in the Uk but it is considered very offensive here. This is hardly a unique phenomenon. There are countless examples of words and customs like this.

For example, I grew up with very liberal parents. We were allowed to swear all we wanted. The only exception was the c word. It was the only swear word that would get us in trouble.

You mean “Centrist”?

7 Likes

The (mostly) american word motherfucker I find far more offensive than ■■■■■ (which I don’t use often - I prefer twat if I do swear) - and also appreciate that it, like the dreaded c-word, it can be used in both an aggressive and friendly manner. I’m certainly not going to call for it’s banishment.

I’d rather people swore less in general but find this whole conversation a bit bizarre - this forum really has some weird ticks.

7 Likes

Humans have some weird ticks. We are just a collection of humans. And some bots.

That’s a bizarrely conservative take.