About Moderation (old original thread)

You’re almost literally making the “fuck your feelings” argument regarding the c-word. You’re literally borrowing the argument tactics of the American deplorable right.

Here:

And here:

At least own your argument style and admit you’re on the conservative side here of being unwilling to adjust your behavior/language one iota to accommodate the feelings of a subset of people.

We’re not doing this again this weekend. There is now a 1 hour wait between posts in this thread and idgaf who that pisses off.

13 Likes

MUPGA

The fuck? You honestly expect me to believe a word, the primary meaning of which is a derogatory term for female genitalia, is not a sexist slur? I can hardly even believe someone would try to claim as much.

And no, the appropriateness of language is not decided by the people not offended by it, even if they are the majority. It’s about being respectful to the minority who is, even if they are not speaking up about it.

8 Likes

Serious question: Does the site software include the ability for a profanity filter?

Bill Gates can donate 99.997% of his wealth and still live off $100K a year til he’s 100 with zero interest/return on his remaining cash. He could donate half his net worth and still be worth about 300,000 times what I am and that’s before accounting for the fact that at least about 50% of my net worth is more like working capital for my business than it is like personal wealth.

My ability to get halfway decent healthcare is contingent on my ability to pay for it, and I have enough to go a dollar above Medicaid eligibility level + health insurance for maybe eight years if I were lucky.

So really awesome comparison there, bud.

I notice you left misogynistic off the list.

It is offensive to women.

Nobody said it did. Your argument is using the same tactics as the American deplorable right.

And arguing to protect the use of language that is offensive to a large subset of people is inherently socially conservative.

And yet you’re not.

You guys continue to ignore the point being made even as we repeatedly say we know that it is used differently in the UK, Ireland, Australia, etc.

Way to stay classy with the personal insults, jalfrezi. In before “I didn’t say ‘fuck off you ■■■■■ I said I’d go so far as to say it!”

Typical trollish behavior.

I love it personally. Not joking. I would love it if there was a feature on the site to self-limit yourself to X posts per hour/day/etc overall or in a given thread.

Yeah they’re arguing the opposite side of what their beliefs would be on any other issue. IMO It’s either because they dislike the people bringing this up that much or because they view it not as pushback on the word but as pushback on British/Irish/Aussie culture.

As we appear to be at an impasse, I’d like to offer a trade. We stop saying ■■■■■■ and you fuckers learn to spell “colour” (amongst other words, list to follow) correctly.

Personally, I find American “spelling” more offensive than any specific word, and die a little inside every time I see it. Deal?

7 Likes

Oh, right, being more respectful towards women is such a burden that you obviously need some sort of compensation.

1 Like

As an American I’d never call a woman a ■■■■ but I would call some internet message board goers a ■■■■■ Like the person that can’t stand people arguing on the internet.

2 Likes

+1.

One term is a vulgur word, the other more of a personal attack implying participation in incest.

2 Likes

I meant what I said.

lol @ pretending the ban was over a specific word.

5 Likes

What jalfrezi said is probably literally true (not certain because it’s possible jman only prosecuted some subset of cases) and I certainly don’t think suggesting that accepting money to join an incredibly racist endeavor is racist would require moderation.

7 Likes

The point is that the group that is offended is the one who decides how offensive it is and American women (and I think Canadian too) generally find it very offensive.

Fwiw, I’ve decided to not even ask the people from outside the area to stop, but you might consider there are some derogatory terms that you might find very offensive that Americans would think nothing of. Most people here would probably stop using them if you asked.

Yes, IMO.

3 Likes

We are.

Or maybe not.

Who put this rule into effect?

Quite.

Certain parts of this forum want to have it both ways - the US criminal justice system is inherently racist when it suits them, but calling someone prosecuting criminal cases on its behalf a racist is CALL THE MODS NOW! when it’s one of their pals.

There are some really disgusting people itf.

3 Likes

Can’t say I’ve ever found it particularly burdensome or considered blowjobs as “compensation”, but now that I think about it, your framing definitely holds water.

Joking aside, not a negotiator, are you, Wook? Taking a hard-line stance that anyone who uses ■■■■■■ (in casual conversation, not as an insult directed at females) is some sort of incorrigible raging misogynist just paints your interlocutors into a corner and makes them unwilling to compromise, which is exactly what has happened here.

3 Likes

Now you’re just lying about what I said.