About Moderation (old original thread)

Lol, I post regularly in like 3 threads. I have never followed a poster from thread to thread.

I was talking about with another forum member. I think that ‘last wording’ people if nothing else should be highly frowned upon. I think Micro pointed this out in one of the other threads too.

If someone is nice enough to admit defeat or that there is not an agreement to be made (assuming they can do so graciously without parting shots), then one can’t reasonably expect peace if they other party feels the need to respond with a parting shot, declaring victory, requesting a formal surrender, or relitigating the terms of defeat. So my advice to those mutually want peace with each other is to try to find a stopping point to the conversation and leave it there. Sure, maybe you will have to clarify later but if you start with the peace this way then the discussion is almost sure to restart the argument.

6 Likes

Just an aside, but to people who are upset by the quality of the forum: you can’t expect perfection and look at threads like the mental health thread or proudfather’s thread or Walrus or various weight loss or self-improvement threads or for the most part the vast majority of threads on the forum. I think everyone here has shown that they are willing and capable of having regular real life decent conversations when it’s important and also just most of the time.

There are certain subjects and animosities that rage in some threads on some subjects and occasionally spill over to where people who try to avoid it will notice, and maybe we could do somewhat better, but considering the topics discussed, the history between posters here and the culture that we imported from 2p2, it’s not that bad.

9 Likes

Accusing posters of waging a troll campaign, posting in bad faith (while posting in bad faith themselves), playing the victim, being babies (while acting like babies themselves), and being condescending to the women posters on this forum (while being condescending to the posters they are arguing with).

Maybe that doesn’t seem like much, but when d2 gets banned for saying, “I’m sorry that’s how you feel,” and Jal gets banned for something I wasn’t even able to figure out, it’s a problem.

7 Likes

I’m not sure what else to call this. Endless posting for days over the dumbest hill imaginable with no real suggestions for how this can be resolved. It’s making this place toxic for everyone else.

1 Like

I don’t see how one side arguing their opinion (which was held up in a poll of the community) is a troll campaign, while the other side (who lost the vote) engaging in the same behavior, is not?

4 Likes

I can’t figure out where Jal attacked lapka, and disagree with jals posts being of higher severity than jmans, unless something was deleted.

The rest of your posts appears to me as condescending modsplaining. I mean we actually had a poster banned for arguing “in bad faith” for pointing out Sky’s use of “AIDsing”, while Sky then the very next day pontificated about how if even one person might be offended by a word it shouldn’t be allowed. Is that not bad faith?

1 Like

In general, I’d prefer mods to cite the post, or at least the thread, that earned the ban.

Certain posters need to accept that they are on a shorter leash as repeat offenders and are going to get banned for things they think other people are allowed to get away with.

7 Likes

Some of them appear to be repeat offenders of having a different opinion than some of the mods. I didn’t agree with them at first, but it seems pretty obvious to me now.

3 Likes

Different opinions are great. 2000 posts spread over 5 threads that go on for two months are not great. Don’t get me wrong wookie looks really bad here too. Both sides look terrible.

This is fighting for fighting sake.

5 Likes

It was a done deal the community said the word is allowed thread gets bumped and the argument that was settled heats up again. But somehow the trolls are the ones who are arguing what was settled for. Odd world.

2 Likes

I’m fine with giving people a thread to fight for the sake of fighting of they admit they are doing it.

It should Be in bbv and invisible to the community.

No, in general I don’t think d2 is being treated unfairly considering he’s actively trying to wind people up. But he could at least be banned for something that’s actually banworthy. And d2 isn’t one of the posters that has me concerned.

And I don’t think mods need to be angels either. But posters should not get banned for “bad faith” and “attack posts” that are hard to differentiate from other posts in the threads, including posts by mods themselves.

3 Likes

Should “trying to wind people up” be an offense worth of a timeout if done excessively or repeatedly?

Sure. But that’s not what he got banned for. And I’m done arguing about him anyway because it’s not primarily about him.

2 Likes

I understand you to be saying that you think one of the mods will permaban you unilaterally.

My response to that would be that there better be a 0% chance of that happening. Mods are absolutely not empowered by the community to unilaterally permaban regular members.

I haven’t seen anything that I’ve interpreted to be something like that, although my reading of all the “fight” threads has varied from close to skimming. If you feel like quoting what you’re seeing that way I’d be interested in reading it myself.

You don’t really need to though–what you’re worried about should be a total non-starter. I’d think that a mod permanently banning someone without the agreed-on “due process” (a discussion thread with a poll) would trigger a pretty extreme revolt. I for one would turbo-quit this place if it were to happen.

Getting banned for “I’m sorry you feel that way” implies a leash so short the question arises of why no perma is issued. Even on the least charitable reading it’s just not something that should merit a ban.

7 Likes