About Moderation (old original thread)

:vince4:

1 Like

Why is one of the crypto regs anon’d and wtf does that actually mean?

He took his ball and went home.

I temporarily silenced NoMatterWho for 6 months. It seems fairly obvious that it’s a previously banned user. I don’t have history with the rumored original account, but we have a rule that says banned accounts can’t come back under a different alias.

I don’t want my decision to be the deciding factor here hence the temporary silence. Posting this for opinions from others on the matter. Maybe try not to turn this into a shit show please.

7 Likes

Who do you believe it was?

NMW didn’t really bother me that much tbh.

I certainly wouldn’t call their posting “good”, but didn’t find it offensive unless I missed something.

2 Likes

I haven’t muted them and I am quick to mute people ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

I was fine with NMW.

I guess you can call what he was doing trolling, but for the most part he had substance and actually attempted to make arguments. I saw some personal attacks, but I think they were all in retaliation to one from someone else. Yeah, they were nearly all contrarian opinions and his volume was very high.

I don’t count that as trolling, but it seems most of the internet does (not just unstuck).

4 Likes

I’m also fine with NMV.
I don’t think he should be silenced unless there is IP evidence that he is a formerly banned poster.

1 Like

I think the issue with previously banned people is if they make it apparent that they are coming back and posting as a previously banned user. If they try to start over again I say more power to them. NMW wasn’t doing anything worse than what a number of other posters on this forum do routinely and get away with. I don’t think he/she needs to be permabanned, especially without knowing for sure who he/she actually is.

also didnt mind them

i think differing views are good for the discourse

I thought he was fine

1 Like

You guys are crazy that dude blowed

2 Likes

He blew chunks.

Never been a reason to permaban someone here before. At least, not a permaban that has stuck.

2 Likes

I mean not that I liked him personally, but considering what the forum consensus seems to be on banning or silencing…

Yeah, this.

Also, is Raids even a previously banned poster? I thought the only actual previously banned poster we have these days is Inso. This guy clearly isn’t Inso. So unless we believe he’s a previous spam account…

Yeah, and that’s worked out great for us.

2 Likes

Why do we even have moderators if banning an obvious bad faith poster is off the table? Are mods just post hiders?

6 Likes