About Moderation (old original thread)

Do you consider Microbet actually thinks that way and isn’t performing sophistry, which is “the use of fallacious arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving.”

1 Like

My mom said it’s not possible for anyone to disagree with me in good faith

I think Micro is a good guy who has a lot of blind spots when it comes to people who are on his “team.”

But you didn’t answer my question about eyebooger. Is he also trolling?

Yes you did. Publicly asking around if people like Sabo is a micro-aggression and not really that micro. At the very least it implies you aren’t interested, which is fine, but it’s being a dick to publicly say you aren’t interested in someone’s posts. And it also invites people to join in on not being interested in Sabo. I think it’s very obvious bullying and othering.

2 Likes

I can assure you that I’m not doing any of these. I don’t think any of the recent posters ITT thread are.

my post was a way to show you that responding to a genuine post with ‘this is sophistry’ is a way of saying someone is posting in bad faith, which is your go-to strategy whenever someone disagrees with you. you should improve your posting in this forum by omitting such posts from your arsenal.

I have recently learnt that I need to spell out my intentions more clearly so i am attempting to do so here.

Please stop (this is also a take on one of your favorite catch phrases, but i truly would like to see you stop accusing the other side of the conversation of posting in bad faith)

1 Like

I was wrong, I told missile dog in a PM it would close in a week so I must have set a close date.

1 Like

Being self-critical here…“very obvious” on my part was a micro-aggression.

i don’t think you are. i’m also quite hopeful you can see the differences with an open discussion as you stated. But either way it’s not my place to defend either takes.

Completely unresponsive and needlessly insulting. Try again. Or don’t. Maybe you should stop.

This is much different than sophistry. Your first post was calling micro a liar, you know, like a sophist.

2 Likes

OK, that was not my intention, and I either worded my comment wrong or you’re reading a lot into it. In response to people saying that Sabo was a focal point in a lot of drama, I was just curious if there actually was anyone who is missing his posts who doesn’t have access to them. (I’m assuming that most people are allowed to register there, but I have no idea if that’s true). I wasn’t making a statement about “liking” him at all. I don’t know if that place is a satisfying forum or not, but I was wondering if we might not have a fair (if imperfect) solution at the moment, in that everyone who wants to keep engaging with Sabo gets to keep engaging with Sabo, and they get the added benefit of excluding anyone from their forum that they don’t “like.”

1 Like

Dear god, what are you talking about?

You posted that microbet doesn’t actually believe what he is writing and he is trying to deceive the forum.

Are you unaware of what sophistry means? Apologize to microbet, apologize to the forum and carry on.

1 Like

spendinglove

1 Like

I think he’s stretching things to convince himself that “pre-bans” are meaningfully different from bans. I think if Sabo had been pre-banned from UP based on a single veto he would think that was unfair.

I’m sure I’m not exactly right about everyone, but I don’t claim anyone on my “team” is perfect. That’s not the same as thinking it’s terrible to permaban them. It’s not the same as thinking that banning almost always makes things worse or that the constant negotiation over people’s status here makes things worse.

No one has an issue with them creating their own space. We’re pointing out that their entire premise, that moderation isn’t needed on UP, is selectively applied. They sure didn’t have a problem calling for my ban. They sure didn’t have problems with calling for the bans of others. Their little space has moderation.

That cuts pretty hard against their ‘moderation isn’t needed on UP’ argument. Sure makes it seem like their actual position is ‘I/We don’t need to be moderated on UP’, which is a lot less self-righteous than the bullshit about how we operate as a community.

1 Like

i think he actually believes they are different and is not lying or attempting to deceive you in any way. i find that having conversation with people who are lying and attempting to deceive you is a terrible way to spend my time.

Look at my post and ggoreos’s. They are obviously different.

lol are you claiming that sophistry isn’t a way to call something ‘bad faith’?

is making up meanings to stuff your new job? god, no one can take a simple L anymore?