About Moderation (old original thread)

where’s the cool cat thread? can’t seem to find it

3 Likes

I didn’t call you a deplorable. Intentionally. I selectively defended Keeed, yes, and i acknowledged that you were widely considered deplorable (which is true) but I didn’t call you one. On purpose!

It is the standard I want and it’s the standard I get when chatting with lots of people, even when they disagree, everywhere but here, and that includes 2p2 for the most part.

1 Like

And that’s how we get to where we are today.

It is now the called “The Chitchat LC Thread for Sundry Chatchitting” which is obviously hopeless as it lacks “Ginger”, “Cool” and “Cat”. Don’t know what the world is coming too.

2 Likes

Going to answer this part too. First there was an argument happening. Second, I think sending a PM to anyone at all unsolicited is a personal invasion unless you have some reason to think it will be received well. Third, your words may have passed some politeness test, but you were telling me to shut up in a very dismissive and condescending way. Under those circumstances I absolutely stand by my response, including the “and never PM me again” part.

7 Likes

This whole interaction reminds me of a scene from Rounders. I’m out here asking Grama for a little grace and Worm just won’t listen to me when I tell him to stfu.

I’m gonna both sides a little here, but please stop trying to provoke each other and please cut the name calling and insults for a few weeks while we get some new things in place. I gotta tell you all, under any poster guidelines we setup for community moderation, the namecalling and insults have got to go. And if I do end up serving as a mod in the future, I’m gonna hand out temp bans like crazy on that stuff until we’re done with that part as a forum.

10 Likes

You might want to do a little research and see how well this worked out:

1 Like

No. That was incidental. I looked up the thread and that was a screenshot from a post otatop made.

But, it is true that my bans handed out to each of them, all less than 24 hrs, all as fairly and quickly as I could do in my best efforts, were a catalyst for CW leaving. That was part of the point that otatop was making there when he pointed at CW.

The last few days there have been a lot of posts about times at 2p2 and 1+ yr ago here and some people are really stretching or worse the way certain events went down.

I dont care how keed or ikes posted on 2p2 years ago, or to relitigate cuse leaving, but we don’t have to create new narratives about known history.

3 Likes

You’re probably right. I am still salty about those events.

What I’ve been saying about Keeed and CN is about their current posting. I defended CN on 2p2 and caught flak from Fly about it. (well, not defended so much as asked him a question like he was a person - and that was enough to catch hell from Fly.)

2 Likes

Reporting what people said about other people is a technique of our stenographic press, so there are going to be some in this forum who will interpret doing so as a way of saying what you believe without saying what what you believe.

That may be unfair, but a lot of bad faith actors, not just here or 2+2 but everywhere around social media, have ruined online political discussion for everyone. I love the Socratic method, but a bunch of idiots JAQing off have ruined it.

1 Like

I will affirmatively say that I don’t CN was deplorable on 2p2. I think most people here were wrong about him then and that’s part of why it’s true that he hasn’t really changed all that much, if at all.

It just seems when we relitigate 2p2 stuff or cuse or whatever we get stick in loops/“on sides” forever. Oh, you defended cn on 2p2 years ago? Well someone might bring it up to score points. It’s just so reductive.

Ok, and just repeating, that you were probably right about my bringing up CW. It was relevant to meb’s post, but it dredges up other things. But, I’m talking about current events with CN and Keeed.

Anyway, I’ve more than said my piece. I avoided this thread for quite a while (seems like months, but maybe it wasn’t), but I’ve made up for a lot of it this morning. I will try to stay away for a while. If I left any conversation hanging, sorry.

2 Likes

I know some people disagree on the moderation of insults and name calling. My guess is that people who disagree with it likely use this type of language in conversation more regularly and it may be a cultural divide too. However, on a forum some of the options you may have to avoid discussion with someone who regularly resorts to name calling and insults don’t exist. So it becomes more of an issue as you can’t escape it as well.

I think for this reason it is better for an online community to attempt to eliminate this form of argument. Attack the post not the poster seems to be a good guideline to live by.

As I recall, he claimed to be a conservative-leaning independent and some people insisted he was a partisan Republican pretending to be an independent. Some of those people also doubted he was really in medical school.

At the time, I thought they were wrong on both counts.

Also this. I last posted on 2+2 five years ago. I’m honestly shocked that people think about that stuff still.

We can litigate my personal reaction and the words I chose to use if you wish, but I doubt I was speaking for many other people, so if I’m part of the reason there’s too much salt in the earth for the new sub to grow, I’d be interested in doing what I can to not be any kind of impediment, unless just how I feel about it is an impediment.

To keep it brief, I don’t know if you mean me in the first sentence when you mention Jewish posters being compared to Nazis. I addressed my putsch word choice yesterday with Vic. Also being short, I obviously had a different view about the implications and practicalities of having a new sub for the whole forum given how we run this place and the (now post-untenable) tensions we had. My notion of obligation is much softer than you imply; to the extent that we all spend a fair amount of time here and there is free labor involved in running it, we probably shouldn’t undermine its cohesion if we can reasonably avoid it by being kinder, but also by letting shit die that should die and stay dead.