About Moderation (old original thread)

“Be the change you wish to see in the forum.” - Mahatma Conman

5 Likes

I’ll put myself in this category as well so it doesn’t seem like a shot bc it isn’t. You and I can give it back as well as we can take it. I doubt you or I have ever tried not fighting every internet battle with vitriol back. Maybe I am wrong but as I have tried to be a little more diplomatic the vitriol has come back at a much lower pace.

3 Likes

Until now stinky pants!

1 Like
1 Like

I think this is a big part of it. We are all living in some trying times between the virus and crazy leaders. People are angry and coping.

Maybe if everyone got together and trolled MAGA and brexit folk on twitter it would help.

3 Likes

I keep getting @‘d into this thread and keep ignoring it, because no good comes from engaging in my experience, but saw that Micro just @‘d me above so I guess I’ll stick my head in to address one quick falsehood that keeps getting repeated about me, and then I’m out again, because I have absolutely zero desire to participate in this weeks old argument over a 24 hour ban (that I volunteered to take as well!) that keeps getting re-re-re-re-re-litigated.

1. I was a homicide prosecutor, specializing in child homicides. I did not do narco prosecutions, with a few small exceptions where a narco case would intersect with one of my homicide ones. In my experience shitty work and trial averse prosecutors who didn’t want to do trial work went to narco. That was not me;

2. The criminal justice system is absolutely stacked against poor people and minorities in general;

3. The whole “disparity between crack cocaine and powdered cocaine” racist thing (which definitely was racist, no doubt about that), was a federal thing. Had nothing to do with state. There was no difference between powder cocaine and crack cocaine in NY law. But again, had nothing to do with me anyway, i wasn’t a narco prosecutor.

4. Despite contentions by a certain poster to the contrary, I absolutely did do a “mea culpa” over on 2+2 when I left the work. Here is it is, for those who don’t remember it, November 9, 2016, shortly before I left that career:

And finally, and most importantly, 5: The reason that Jalfrezi hates me, has me on ignore, and spouts these demonstrably false lies about me (again, see above) is because of the COVID thread. Back in January and February I, and a few other were screaming from the fucking rooftops that COVID was a big deal. I was urging everyone to take it really seriously, that it was going to end our lives as we knew it, and that everyone needed to stock up on supplies, masks, etc. Some of my worst predictions did not come true, but there were a handful of posters, jalfezi chief amongst them that mocked me mercilessly in those early days for spreading the alarm. As COVID got worse and it became apparent to all that my alarms were unfortunately largely correct (if not ultimately as bad as I thought it could get), he got angrier and angrier in his arguments before he finally placed me on ignore. There was never any exchange that I can recall where he called me a racist prosecutor and i responded with “fuck you.” That is a lie. I have taken the tack for months now with him that I ignore these comments, because I could honestly care less, however since I keep getting @‘d into this thread, I thought I’d set the record straight one last time, and exit.

Regards,

—jman220

Edit: Holy god I can never get quote tags to work properly. Edit Edit: Thanks, no matter how many times you guys show me how to fix the quote tags problem, I forget it like a week later.

11 Likes

Can’t we just make it against the rules for those posters to reply to each other? Escalating bans for every offense

7 Likes

I’ll volunteer to mod, only need about 10 minutes to fix all of this. Let me know.

5 Likes

That’s an excellent post. I think you’ve made your history clear. Your involvement in a system. Your feelings about it now. I don’t think anyone should make their case about how the system is racist or unfair into something personal against you in the future, at least not without recognizing that you recognize that yourself.

But, then the last paragraph. You are bringing up an argument that has been hashed and rehashed a dozen times in that thread.

1 day ban.

3 Likes

Lmao jman gets dragged ITT by jalfrezi, marty, and others for a couple days and completely 100% ignores it. Makes one post addressing everything at once and says he intends for that to be the end of it, and he is the first person you ban in this thread? Because he addresses lies that were allowed to stand?

Wow. Just wow. That’s ridiculous.

1 Like

You liked the post where I said I was gonna ban people. Not going to do it for posts from before I made that post. You or marty or jalfrezi or fidget…what is it? eff around and find out.

4 Likes

If I’m the other, I did not drag him in the mud.

and @anon38180840… 1 day ban.

Jal, marty and fidget can find out if they are getting preferential treatment if they want to experiment.

8 Likes

Actually I’m hoping marty, jal and fidget get themselves a ban just to make it the same for everyone and so commonwealth doesn’t hate me and jman doesn’t hate me anymore than he already does.

That’s what I mean. I would have done more if I could. To whatever degree I could have and did not, I’m sorry. I don’t need any reassurance about that. I am a good person owning the unintended consequences of my actions.

If this is a Clueless reference then I am offering smrk all-weekend immunity.

ezgif-7-acd9f8bc5ef8

1 Like

If it helps I’ll take a ban for the day.

Permaban me this place is a fucking joke. You just gave four trolls their dream that they’ve been whining incessantly for like children and fucked over the people who have been receiving their attacks for months over next to nothing. Of course they’re not going to get themselves a ban, they just won. They ran me off, they got jman a ban, they’re thrilled. You’re their hero.

Marty whines for like three weeks until finally micro is like:

4r94cw

I don’t hate you, but this place sucks now. Unstuck gets jalfrezi I’m out. The troll wins. Well played @Jalfrezi, you triggered this shit over and over until it escalated once again and then let it all burn around you and ducked out. Elite trolling. I look forward to lurking and seeing how many more people you can fight and trigger before this fucking shitshow of a forum realizes what you are. I think I know who’s next, but I won’t spoil the fun.

Permaban me now @moderators. I wouldn’t make a ghost account to do anything but lurk or trigger a permaban. So perma me, perma the ghost account, and go ahead and permaban @GrittyNHL too, that’s my gimmick.

I should have insisted on it last time. I’m out.

:slight_smile:

Does not help. I’m not going to moderate anyone else any differently than I have so far except those 5 who were messing up the forum for a lot of people with an argument that never seems to end. I said what I was going to do, and I did it. Maybe I missed a couple people and certainly didn’t include all the longstanding feuds, but anyway, just trying to end/slow down the feuding in line with the most recent community vote on being nice.

From what I saw you didn’t make your posts about the criminal justice system personally directed at anyone here and don’t even merit a “please be nicer”.

Honestly disappointed. If you believe in moderation at all you have to accept that you won’t always agree with it. And you definitely believe in moderation.

2 Likes

Unacceptable. You can have a vacation until 1/6/21 or maybe 1/20/21 if you must. Resignation not accepted.

1 Like