About Moderation (old original thread)

Not only do I always view the post, I’m much more likely to like the post.

1 Like

OK, it is actually news to me that mod-hidden posts are shown to regular users but user-deleted are not. They both look the same to me, so clicking on them is almost always a waste of my time unless I’m specifically looking for a post I deleted.

Watevs got temp banned earlier this week for saying that he hoped another poster catches one in the grill. I’m assuming he meant punched.

BS told another poster to “DIAGF”. After saying in the same post that he was “absolutely not joking and will happily eat temp bans to make personal attacks on you”. And he avoids a temp ban.

I’m legitimately confused. Does this mean we can’t wish violence on other posters, but we can wish for their death?

12 Likes

No:

Not only that, BS openly dared the moderators to ban him, saying something like “I’m more than happy to eat a ban just for this opportunity to wish death on you”. Classy!

7 Likes

I think the line should be drawn somewhere between wishing another poster dies in a grease fire and openly wishing that Tucker Carlson gets punched in the face. The latter should always be allowed.

2 Likes

I think the attack itself, whether accurate or not, should be permissible and it’s the DIAGF tacked onto the end that is problematic.

You can’t wish death/violence on other posters. The question is whether the punishment for first offenders is merely having your post hidden or if it should start at a ban.

Even if nobody should be belittled like that, that doesn’t mean that every time someone does something they shouldn’t do, then that should be punished with at least a temp-ban.

On some level, freedom is about the willingness to tolerate people doing something wrong. It’s a question of how wrong we are willing to let people be. The mods seem to have a clear line that other posters seem to be good at skirting. Your “black sheep” appear to lack any sort of nuance to the point that they sometimes seem to be inviting bans because they think they are making a point or because they need to feed some sort of martyr complex.

I frankly don’t care if BS eats a ban for his post, but I suspect that if he doesn’t, then he will for the next one if it is any time soon.

I’ll state for the record that I completely disagree with this policy. Is it written down somewhere? Is there a list of who gets a free pass on their first death wish?

IMO, wishing death(or violence) on another poster should be a temp ban automatically, that creates zero gray area on that matter. If we choose to go with your disciplinary theory then there will always be a gray area as to who gets a mulligan on death-wishing by dint of a mod’s subjective opinion that they haven’t habitually line-stepped in the past.

11 Likes

We don’t have that many policies written down. If you want to enact one, you’re welcome to start an RFC for it.

This is well beyond answering questions of interested parties. This is fielding the same malice from the perpetually butthurt over and over and over even in a case that had nothing to do with them.

1 Like

Yeah it’s a community, and I disagree that the mods are bound in any way shape or form to answer your questions. They do the job and if enough people dislike it than you can vote them out. Otherwise, as volunteers they owe you nothing but the moderation log. So guess the community can’t agree, nothing can be done.

Oh and BS should be banned for that imo. I would have probably given him multiple days, but :man_shrugging: You ain’t recalling Wookie either.

C’mon, man.

Not sure if responding to the same three or four people whining about petty bullshit is really “responding to the community”.

In fact, it’s utter bullshit to characterize it that way.

Y’all take this shit way too seriously. It’s pathetic honestly.

I’m not even sure what he means by that.

If you gave a shit about this place you wouldn’t post pathetic garbage like this.

A pathetic troll Marty.

You may have missed the part where BS first called his shot and then wished death on another poster. Apparently, some posters just get to do that. Marty has been temp banned for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less than that. But go ahead and call him petty and pathetic for expressing his opinion in a civil manner and having the temerity to ask why that is…in the moderation thread.

10 Likes

To be clear, this is the post that has gotten people talking.

The “DIAGF” is clearly out of line, based on how this forum has been modded in the past. But what if it wasn’t there?

If boredsocial had not dropped “DIAGF” at the end, what mod action should have been taken?
  • Nothing
  • Post hidden but no temp-ban
  • Post hidden and temp-ban
  • Other (please specify)
  • Don’t know
  • Don’t care
0 voters