About Moderation (old original thread)

Seriously? That’s what he was banned for? A farce if true.

2 Likes

Apparently that’s it, it was deleted. I read the post, it was totally innocuous. Pointing out a racist trope exists is not engaging in racism. In fact, I did the exact same thing moments before, pointing out that the wet market hypothesis advanced racist tropes about Chinese animal husbandry and dietary habits. We were making the point that there doesn’t seem to be a prominent racist trope in Western culture that would fit with the lab leak hypothesis. The “racist trope” about Chinese scientists is that they are very diligent and capable, which, as jal pointed out, doesn’t seem to be promulgated by the lab leak hypothesis.

Utterly pathetic.

1 Like

@MrWookie, could you provide us with the text of the post you deleted and confirm that was why jal was banned? If that’s what happened we need to have a vote on your action.

Yes, that was it. It is absolutely racist to say that it’s racist to say that Chinese people make excellent scientists.

Can you give us the exact wording of the post?

Why?

1 Like

Because the people in question are not random Chinese people off the street, and thinking that a random person off the street is likely to be a good scientist just because they look Chinese, which is casually but usually not maliciously racist. The people we were talking about were the people in the Wuhan lab, scientists, and jal said it was racist to presume that they were excellent scientists

1 Like

This is stupid and you’re being an ass and slandering him.

3 Likes

Is that verbatim?

Jal said something very much like “if anything there’s a stereotype that Chinese are good scientists” obviously as a counter to the supposition that saying Chinese labs are leakers is racist - like that’s saying Chinese are bad scientists - like the opposite of the typical racist stereotyping.

That is absolutely not what he said, which is why you need to give us the full text of what you deleted. Jal said that the lab leak hypothesis promoting racist tropes doesn’t make sense, because the if there is a “racist trope” about Chinese scientists, it is that they’re good.

1 Like

Latest round was Keed a few days ago. He led off with it likely came from a lab, followed up with scientists wouldn’t see it or cover up if it was from a lab, and more nonsense as illustrated just a few posts upthread. Jalfrezi jumped in on this.

If that were his exact words then the ban should be reversed immediately. This was not “naked racism”.

“When I said the racist trope is that Chinese people are excellent scientists I meant they are no more excellent than other nations, obviously, not that they are less good than other nations, but it got pounced on by wookie again.”

This is quote from jal.

1 Like

Fine

1 Like

Saying that is naked racism is outright defamation.

7 Likes

Willful or reckless.

1 Like

This is some bullshit

1 Like