About Moderation (old original thread)

I don’t think Forum Admin is an elected position the way mods are. Put another way, I don’t think the RFC process applies to Admin.

We can play all kinds of games with mods. Admin is somewhat serious business and the over/under on people willing to do it is 1 or 2.

You’re not wrong - but I’d never leave this place in the lurch without a replacement.

Was just posing a hypothetical. I’m a little bit surprised at how long this is taking, but I voted for all of this (I think - there’s been so many threads).

Glad that things have calmed down a little. Can we take this 1 hour timer off this thread though?

2 Likes

It’s been interesting being a mod and not very hard at all. And I certainly did more than you have to do, as you don’t really have to do anything.

As I’ve said before, I was modding for a term. It’s been 3 months and that’s a good term imo, for me anyway. I’ve come out of it perhaps with a couple scrapes and bruises, but all in all, if anything, it’s improved my relationships on the forum, especially among most of the people I’ve moderated. I highly recommend taking a turn and helping the forum out.

Who knows what the future will bring, but after a good break, I’m likely to be up for modding or other services for the forum in the future.

@jmakin - please demod me. Thank you.

23 Likes

Don’t like that

2 Likes

Cool thanks for the help, when I get home tonight I will.

1 Like

I vote against demodding micro until a replacement has been announced.

A leftist replacement. Don’t pull an RBG, micro.

4 Likes

Arise Sir Chads.

5 Likes

Bernie or bust

1 Like

I’m hesitant to post this and potentially stir up “drama,” but I really feel that this is over the line and should be moderated.

Response to flag (paraphrased):
“We’ve reviewed this post and determined that no action needs to be taken.”

???

Seems provoked. Offsetting penalties, repeat first down.

5 Likes

There seems to be a difference between “fuck you” constituting the main thrust of the post and “fuck you” being part of a substantive post which contains other points, as this one does.

I don’t agree with this. ZZ did refer to clovis’s personal situation, but it was civil. Escalating to “fuck you, seriously fuck you” is unnecessary and, imo, if unchecked leads to further and further escalations and drama in the future (speaking generally).

So what? You seem to be saying that if a post has enough substance, it’s okay for it to also contain “fuck you.” If the post is otherwise substantive, why not just post it without the “fuck you”? I’d advocate for deleting that part, and wouldn’t be upset if the whole post were hidden.

I don’t agree that posts/conduct is allowed or disallowed based on ideology, but I do agree with you that if whatevs had posted that, it would have been much more likely to be moderated.

Now, I think that’s mostly due to whatevs having a track record of similar posts, and clovis not as much (but not none).

I do think taking posters’ histories into account can and should be part of moderation decision-making, but with limits. Taken too far, “but he’s a good poster” can end up being a get-out-of-jail-free card for stuff I would prefer we didn’t tolerate.

1 Like

Discussions get heated in politics sometimes, I don’t think something like that needs moderation as long as it not the poster’s whole mode of engagement.

1 Like

I’m saying that one-liner posts get moderated more harshly and that the reason for this seems to be that the existence of substantive points is treated as a mitigating factor. Similarly, posters perceived as posting a string of short FU posts without making any other points are treated more harshly than posters who have some good posts mixed in.

I don’t think this place can function if people aren’t allowed to say FU occasionally, at least not without a massive culture shift.

References to personal situations made without profanity can and very frequently do cut much deeper than “fuck you.”

3 Likes

C’mon, “you’re clueless because you’re a bougie Canadian” is lame and a personal attack.

1 Like

It’s arguably true though?

1 Like

It is, at the very least, pretty rude to state that someone cannot understand anything outside of their immediate station.

2 Likes