About Moderation (old original thread)

Keep repeating it, but even before this, this entire episode started with a post where he takes a loaded and personal shot at sky. It’s easy in hindsight to say that it should have been stopped there, but at the same time given how quickly stuff escalated, it may be necessary to take an aggressive approach with moderating dick-bait like that.

We already have a very similar set of posting guidelines. It’s been there since day 1.

2 Likes

Be considerate if a poster or posters ask you to tone it down or knock it off. You don’t have to agree with why they’re asking. And ask others to show the same consideration to you.

If the person refuses, the poster can appeal to a moderator or the community. The resolution may be for you to put the poster on ignore and let the moderators moderate the poster if they continue assaulting you or other posters.

We may also see that the toxic behavior disappears as soon as those two people stop interacting. That doesn’t always happen, because one or both parties compulsively engage in these kinds of discussions. Moderators at that point are just putting out fires instead of getting arsonists to stop pouring gasoline on shit.

Again, if it is just one person pouring gasoline, that’s not going to stop just because anyone puts that person on ignore. Some people can’t help themselves. They fight with anyone who will pick up the other end of the rope. Let that person reveal themselves if that’s who they are. We can decide then as a community what to do.

Eg imagine if I blasted goofy. We get into it every day, probably because I’m jealous of his avatar. He tells me stfu. I tell him stfu. We argue and argue. He’s well-mannered but I’m increasingly hostile toward him, and he’s starting to lose it.

Instead of continuing to argue, he puts me on ignore.

If I keep blasting him or turn my fire to someone else, goofy and anyone else putting me on ignore has made this a super easy decision for the community.

1 Like

I like the idea of a dial it down rule. Maybe with a plus 1 needed.

I.e. if someone asks you to chill out, thats seconded by someone else, then you need to dial it down.

Keeps it being mostly self managed.

2 Likes

I’ve sort of lost the plot here as to why cuse is leaving. He was asked to tone it down, refused (because he doesn’t want to allow an insult to go unchallenged), and so was temp banned. @anon38180840 you are leaving because you think everything went down as it should except for the temp ban?

1 Like

I took a crack at a proposal which could, imo, be beneficial for our community when we’re dealing with situations like these. Please take a look and respond if you feel so inclined.

He seems to feel vulnerable due to having a screen name that can be linked to his real world identity, in a community where he no longer trusts everyone.

He’s cited concerns about people Googling him five years from now, so maybe he is worried that the woman of his dreams breaks up with him upon discovering that he was once labeled a perv on some insignificant internet forum. I dunno. It seems silly to me.

I don’t think that’s it. He mentioned being enraged at being temp banned. Doxxing himself is a reason to start a new account that everyone knows is him. It isn’t a reason to leave.

1 Like

Yeah, Dr. Melfi did the exact same thing. Everyone knows who that account is, he guested his old account. Big deal. But this is about being banned for two days, really.

1 Like

Redacted for privacy.

I don’t know who Dr. Melfi was.

Me either. I thought it was someone new.

Take a break from online forums and take care of yourself first dude.

I do remember some lurker accounts on some other online boards looking people up and I’m like the **** is wrong with you.

I had thought that all moderator actions should be logged, but with the new rules and warning people for even mild attacks it seems both more than people would want logged and logging the admonition is a doubling of the “punishment”. Not planning on doing it, at least with the most gentle of reminders to be nice. If anyone thinks that’s wrong lmk.

1 Like

Let’s be honest about it, it’s too much work for something of dubious benefit too.

Sure, but I can always just do less moderating and log whatever I do. I don’t feel any obligation to be here all the time…which reminds me, I’m supposed to work today.

My take would be not to post about “admonishments.” But do post about post editing, deletions, and member timeouts (whether that’s silencing or suspending aka temp-baning). Possibly post about post hiding?

One way to look at it is that the admonishments “document” themselves by virtue of being a post that’s clearly visible to all members. The other actions aren’t transparent to non-mods, so should be documented. Make sense?

5 Likes

That’s a good point. Admonishments are their own log entry.

This thread should be to log actions that would otherwise not be apparent or visible.

1 Like

It should also probably be locked and pinned to the top of the about the forum section. Discussion should be in another thread.

This would still represent an improvement.

1 Like