About Moderation (old original thread)

UP reminds me of a Waffle House: It’s open 24 hours, and the people inside are freakin’ insane.

3 Likes

If “What happens after the third strike?” is needling then it’s hard to imagine what a reply jal makes to common wealth would look like that doesn’t meet your needling threshold.

it wasn’t my needling threshold, it was @tilted’s. Perhaps you should speak with him.

Sure, I think he’s aware of this thread. Can you explain why you think that was needling?

If you don’t get to ask other posters to ignore you or not respond, then posts asking to do so should be hidden and the asker possibly temp-banned. I don’t see those happening, so you do get to ask such things.

But, also, keeed is right that there are tools for ignoring users and failure to use those while repeatedly asking to be left alone feels passive-aggressive.

There’s a certain level of forum decorum that we seem to insist upon, but beyond that, no one should have to be friends with other posters and no one should have to pretend they respect someone else’s opinion or intelligence.

All the whining about people getting dogpiled or facing unkindness or getting chased off the forum just feels like Sarah Palin complaining that criticism was stifling her First Amendment rights.

@anon10396289

What do you think is the appropriate response from a mod If this warning is ignored? More warnings, a temp-ban, or something else?

This doesn’t follow. Moderators warn posters all the time about certain behavior without banning or hiding posts.

Totally agree!

Probably double secret probation for one or two more times, but after that who knows. And I’ll not commit to double secret probation for the next offense as I have to maintain strategic ambiguity vis a vis my future actions.

Works for Susan Collins.

You don’t have to specify what exactly you would do, but it would be nice to know you have a breaking point where you do something more than express strong concern.

Yes, I have a breaking point where I will do something more than express strong concern.

1 Like

So if a user calmly and politely continues to ask another poster to be nicer to him, you will checks notes ban the user asking the other poster to be nicer. Got it.

1 Like

Seems like you guys are asking Keed what he’s going to do after a third strike.

Poor form imo.

3 Likes

I never asked cw to stop asking anyone to be nicer to him…

Well that’s great then, I guess CW doesn’t have to worry about you banning him the next time Jalfrezi goes after him!

Well I’ve already banned someone today with ZERO WARNING, so I wouldn’t get too comfortable. Maybe I’ve developed a taste for it…

2 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

Let’s check the record:

False narrative indeed.

1 Like

:joy:

Ok fair enough. Kindness is good I agree, let’s see more of it from everyone. Note that asking what someone’s post means isn’t unkind. Or is unkind depending who’s doing the asking.