About Moderation (old original thread)

Nobody missed anything; it appears I’m just a moron. Pretty sure it pocket-locked from my phone. If it’s any consolation I also had to explain to three coworkers why I texted them some version of arglebarglealfdjpwera at 6:30 this morning. I also feel terrible. Sorry.

Gonna’ look into whether there’s a way to lock moderator tools from my phone while still being able to get alerts/etc., so this doesn’t happen again. May just have to return to not modding from my phone.

9 Likes

No need to feel bad. It’s no big deal at all.

4 Likes

Thanks Micro. I recognize it’s not a huge inconvenience to not post in a thread for 45 minutes, I just want people here to be able to trust in well-intentioned and reasonable moderation.

7 Likes

Can a @moderators please clear all the flags? I have a notification that I can no longer clear myself and it’s driving me nuts

I’ve cleared all flags a couple of times today. Let me know if this still isn’t fixed on your end.

1 Like

67 posts were split to a new topic: Moderating Oneself

yup, it’s gone. thanks.

It’s great that you’re looking out for Wookie’s well-being.

1 Like

I’m glad we’re at least allowed to have discussions in this thread now. A healthy change of pace.

1 Like

True, even if the thought of being labelled weak for requesting a self-ban might put some off the idea.

Folks.

Keen to have a discussion about abusive, swearing or rudeness to PMs to mods.

How should this be resolved?

On the one hand. The volunteers here shouldn’t be subjected to abuse. So I dont think we should just be expected to put up with it.

On the other hand, having one side of a discussion being able to arbitrarily moderate the other and draw the line wherever they want, especially if the rest of forum won’t see it, doesnt seem right other. Its neither transparent or accountable.

Perhaps one mod should ask other mods to make a call?

Thoughts?

You mean people are PMing the staff abusive stuff? Snap-tempban ainec.

JFC, what is even going on, everybody chill the heck out.

3 Likes

Flag and let another mod decide.

3 Likes

Snap fucking ban anyone doing that shit

Swearing at mods via PM or swearing in a PM to a mod about something else seem like two different things to me: one bad and one whatever. But yeah abusive PMs should probably be moderated to the same standards as if it was an open post in the forum? I think that makes sense?

3 Likes

I guess let another mod decide, but that seems like a line too far imo, I’d be leaning towards a ban

Strong disagree

Great. I think asking another mod is the way to go.

Its certainly not as black and white as many of you are saying. Because the line has to be drawn somewhere.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bickering about old drama

Strongly disagree that abuse should be moderated the same in an open post versus a PM? Why? Moderating with the same standard seems like the most consistent and easiest thing to apply?