About Moderation (old original thread)

The subforum is dead imo. I’m not interested in where it was being pushed, which was to becoming a sub-section of the forum that would have half rights and exist only at the pleasure of a mod team that I’ve lost complete faith in. It seems to me that its primary use would be to have its members function as a piñata for the pleasure of the “good” folks who can’t tell that their own shit also stinks.

I’ll be voting against it if it ever comes up for vote.

5 Likes

It’s unfortunate that this post is true regardless of which side you are on

The community’s reaction to the subforum idea made it clear that kind of thing can’t work here. Community moderation only works under conditions of mutual respect.

2 Likes

@suzzer99 What are you doing here! You owe $375.

9 Likes

It really seems like a lot of drama could have been prevented if folks would have tried using the RFC system as a first resort when they want to change things. I know, it’s bureaucratic and a bit silly, but it can work if people give it a fair shot.

Maybe we could make things easier with a quick FAQ on how to propose RFCs or a template?

1 Like

I’ve started on RFC outlining moderator abilities–it’s more than banning users and throttling threads–that can be a starting ground for talking about how we want mods to use those powers and what limits we want to place on those uses.

Yes and no. They could successfully do it, and I also assume simplicitus or whoever would just pull the plug on the site at some point if that happened.

There’s no such thing as true community ownership of this site. I can’t even keep track of what thread it’s in, but I mentioned that we may decide as a group that we have to designate someone or a small group as the owner of the site eventually.

Weren’t you around for the SMP invasion? The mods will insist there’s nothing they can do and the trolling deplorable assclowns will have the run of this place and eventually become mods.

2 Likes

Maybe mods/admins should be able to declare a state of emergency in which only users with Trust Level 3 can vote?

2 Likes

Or we could make About Unstuck a trust level 3 category

3 Likes

Y’all want to disenfranchise like half the forum because of a dream Goofy had? Tell me what this is really about.

7 Likes

This may come across as a shit-whisking post, and it sort of is but only slightly, but after all that, and after getting a strong indication of likely approval for a sub forum, we are not getting a formal proposal and the effort is done? I’ve been laser beaming shit in a 17 year old video game lately so I may have missed recent developments, but it’s mildly irritating we did all this and the pro sub partisans won and then nothing?

3 Likes

Untrottled in light of goofy’s hypothetical, which I think is a valid concern. It’ll come back on if and when this devolves into more of the usual bickering.

If only there was a place on the forum for TL3s to congregate without dealing with the lesser riffraff.

:eyes:

Who do I have to suck off to get knocked down to trust level 2 and not be exposed to any of this middle school bullshit?

1 Like

I mean, I think Mat’s recent appearance is at least some evidence in favor of the idea that airing our dirty laundry to all comers ain’t great.

link?

Damn if only there were something you could do to stop him.

Was that really Mat? Amazing if so. Good imitation if a gimmick.

Ban him after reading our dirty laundry and mocking how things are going? Sounds incredibly effective.

@prana highly likely.

1 Like