About Moderation (old original thread)

How do you act in the hypothetical that the consensus is 65% “It’s not our PMs that were published and us who were doxed so no perma” vs 35% perma?

The only way your going to improve your mental health is to leave this place for a while. There may be people here you consider part of your support group but they are entirely negated because of other posters her who bait you. Until you can read a post that is negative about you and not have it affect you this pattern of getting pissed and making horrible choices is going to continue. Find something else to take up your time.

1 Like

Seems like a valid question to a potential mod? Your response, however, is problematic in more ways than one. You probably won’t get modded though, per the usual around here.

2 Likes

What the fuck

Edit: and trolly and jmakin liked this post? What the actual fuck?

10 Likes

+1 this is such a banworthy post. This site is fucked

Outside of About Unstuck, this place is still fine.

Honestly, everyone who has any more than like 10% of their posts in About Unstuck should just look at themselves and think “What the fuck am I doing?”

17 Likes

You don’t have an opinion on how the forum should treat members who gain unauthorized access to private communications and publish them? Why the fuck not?

Do you similarly not have an opinion on what should happen to @Vict0ar if he were to hack and publish private communications between Wookie, Goof Baller, skydiver, and yourself?

3 Likes

My personal opinion is that jmakin should be ineligible from ever holding a mod or admin position on this forum again and should serve a lengthy temp ban (length negotiable, maybe 2-3 months?) If down the line he has a desire to return to this forum as a poster, I’m ok with it. Part of this is based on the fact that it’s not like he couldn’t just create a completely different and anonymous screen name anyway. Also the experience of knowing on 22 permabanned posters often returned after some time.

That said, there’s a decent chance he never wants to return anyway.

3 Likes

I’m confused about what happened here. Based on the avatar, this seems to be a reply to a since-deleted post from Jalfrezi but if I try to navigate to it it goes to a Rugby post (presumably one near the deleted post). The reply seems quite harsh but I’m lacking any context.

2 Likes

He never even left. After his self-ban he was back immediately on a gimmick and he’s still here liking abusive posts after earning a perma.

5 Likes

It is also illustrative to go the other way since the facts are 50 members were in the PM and you asked jmakin to allow it to go higher. What would be the judgment if 95% of the forum were already members of the PM thread?

5ggbwo

5 Likes

Sorry. I should rephrase that. My view was that he should have been immediately stripped of admin responsibilities and never allowed to be a mod or admin again. Beyond that i dont have a view what should happen. A number of opinions all have merit here.

As i said though, i do have a strong view that we should base decisions on what outcomes we want to achieve.

What outcome do you want here?

Take a run an at answer? I dont think its an unreasonable question.

I agree with bobman

2 Likes

eyebooger for mod

I will use my four hours to give a PSA, because I didn’t realize until I was clicking around earlier that you can actually find this out at the bottom of your Summary page:

(obv your numbers will be different)

Yeah I gotta resist the temptation to read these threads.

Making the PMs public was a violation of privacy, but let’s make two things clear for everyone on both sides of this mess.

1. There wasn’t anything that bad in there. At worst all it can be characterized is some private discussion of the forum that possibly blended into some organized trolling depending on your interpretation. There really isn’t anything there that anyone should be that upset about. So I think people not in the PM thread need to let it go.

2. For the people in the PM thread, it’s not like there was anything that private in there that would be damaging to be made public. Especially when there were what 50 members in it? I view it as equivalent to the discord some of us from UP have that spun off from the Topshot thread. If someone got access to the discord who wasn’t invited, copied all the posts from there and posted them publicly on UP, that would be a violation of our privacy. I also wouldn’t care at all if someone did. Some stuff on the Internet is serious business. Nothing here is though. You can rightfully be upset at jmakin, but let’s not act like it’s something more than what it was.

Regarding #2, I’m not really upset because I’m not that concerned about privacy, but it started with like 6 people and blew up a ways into it and my email address was in there which greg was kind enough to redact pretty quickly after it went public - while I was on my solidarity ban and not able to do it myself.

Trolly - that was literally 3 out of over a 1000 posts that no one paid attention too. It’s gross to even mention it.

6 Likes

I mean, except for the guy bragging about how he was trolling people.

1 Like