About Moderation (old original thread)

I don’t want to get into a prolonged back and forth about this, but telling someone to “stick to lurking” is the same as telling someone that they shouldn’t post here or in other words that their voice doesn’t deserve to be heard. That’s not a very nice thing to say to any poster, but I think it is particularly bad to say to new or infrequent posters because it discourages growth of the community.

There are more constructive ways to respond to posts that you disagree with or that you think are out of line.

17 Likes

Agree that this is an important message and one that all posters should strive to apply to each other.

4 Likes

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

6 Likes

Just thinking out loud, what if each mod had a thread in ATF noting things like date of election, terms served (assuming there isn’t a term limit, though I would support one), and a poll in the OP that gauges the satisfaction of the community with the mods performance? Something like a permanent ‘recall’ poll, with some sort of rule like “if the approval ratio dips below X then the mod is replaced.” Depending on poll capabilities it could even be something like a 5-point scale rather than a binary yes/no to add some nuance to it (even though the vast majority of answers would be either 5s or 1s).

I think having an anonymous poll would be good so that posters could express their feelings without fear of backlash, but I’d be concerned about sock puppet voting. Is it possible to have an anonymous poll but restrict voting to users above a certain trust level? Maybe the community would prefer that, idk.

The threads could also be a place for specific mod complaints or discussions, which might help keep that out of other threads (or, ya know, they could end up blowing up and destroying everything).

I realize this won’t address all the concerns that some have with moderation, but I also am skeptical that a place this large could exist without moderation at all so I’m trying to think of feedback mechanisms that might help with issues like the ones we’re having.

(@ ing @trolly and @anon46587892 because their posts in the sabo thread made me think of this but I felt this thread was a better location for the discussion)

idk about the poll, but maybe a page upfront with info on the mods, rules, how to get and RFC going would help. People have complained that they can’t figure out the RFC process. I’m reluctant to ask admin if they can do this since they’re way overworked with forum nonsense as-is.

This is a pinned topic. It might become unpinned once you read it.

JFC, who cares if some rando tells you to stop posting without “diving deep into the nature of their posts”.

Imagine when you detox from this shit and look back at the internet degeneracy years feeling that you should view it as a personal attack when some dumbass tells you to stop posting. It’s going to be quite the task to regain your self esteem from that point.

2 Likes

ahem

3 Likes

Jmakin is a regular Edward Snowden around here.

He’s a fugitive from espionage charges and would be detained on arrival and likely Gitmo’d?

2 Likes

Have you flagged the pm?

It’s hilarious how the CoC suddenly have no memory of things at all when it doesn’t show them in a good light.

And the pathetic lie from SK now! Confirms that caring about PMs is bs though.

1 Like

I mean I had to look carefully to even see what the hell you were talking about, it was when PC said you complained to him about people calling you ikes, right? That wasn’t even obvious that it was referring to a pm when I read it at the time. It was funny though, and even funnier that you’re trying to make that into a whole thing.

1 Like

Did Chads leave for good? JFC I regret nominating him and putting him through all this stress. I thought it would reduce the drama.

Yes, he sent a PM to another poster who posted his reasons

Imagine trying to compare someone gossiping about a PM that someone sent to them to an Admin using Admin powers to read private messages and then making them public.

What are we even doing here?

11 Likes

Two things can be bad, even if they are not equally bad.

Both of those things are bad.

2 Likes

One of the legs of the horizontal moderation triad is posters will post better if they are asked to be nicer to each other. 6 is one of the loudest proponents and can’t stop attacking posters who aren’t on board with his plan.

Don’t worry about my self esteem, it is fine. But it seems to me that making derogatory comments about my mental state as an attempt to stop me from calling out poor behavior is not only quite empowering for you, akin to the rush when one crushes a T-ball double, but is also the kind of bullshit personal attacks we should be calling out.

Did you care about the sanctity of PMs when you shared with the forum details about a PM with micro?

4 Likes

Since the cat is out of the bag, if I’m understanding correctly, CN PM’ed PocketChads with a moderation request in a way that confirmed he is Ikes and then PC turned around and went to the PM thread and mocked CN/Ikes for his request.

If I am understanding correctly, that is a blatant abuse of mod status. If I am not understanding correctly, then I withdraw the accusation.

1 Like