About Moderation (old original thread)

tl;dr

Have nfi who the Hatfields and McCoys are/were. Something Trekkie related?

Please can you ditch the implicit assumption of cultural hegemony and use examples that the whole forum can understand?

Thank you.

And you’ll obviously end up with an island full of Americans. Maybe that’s what people here want. Banning all the Brits has already been suggested in another thread.

Maybe just rename the forum UnstuckUS so we all know where we stand and no one joins without understanding what it’s about.

As a representative of a racist criminal justice system, pushing for harsher sentences than would have been fair, sure. Are you arguing that wasn’t what he had to do in that role? Are you arguing that’s not how the US criminal justice system dispenses “justice” to ethnic minorities?

Stop twisting my words around and start recognising your own biases ffs.

1 Like

Can I get a 48 hour self ban please?

Hmm…I don’t see an option for anything between tomorrow and next week or a custom time frame. Tomorrow ok?

eta: Well, I did it for a day. I’m racking up those bans.

I know that you are not an unintelligent person, so I am 99.9% sure you can infer from the context of my post what I am talking about. In that case, this comment is just performative, or searching for meaning that doesn’t exist to try to “gotcha” yet another person.

I refuse to fall for your bait.

I don’t give a flying fuck where you, or anyone else involved in this dispute is from, and you trying to force it on me is disingenuous at best. If you don’t believe me, perhaps that is an indication that you should reexamine your assumptions.

Only tangentially. The Hatfields and McCoys are a famous American rivalry between backwoods hillbilly families. No one could remember what the original beef was but they hated each other for like decades.

Bones was a descendant of the winning family.

2 Likes

Once again people are both sidesing this. Once again they don’t care who started it and are threatening to ban both sides.

Nobody gave a damn when I basically called this starting up again a few days ago with more or less a “here we go again” post when churchill took a random shot at me.

I said nothing else, just pointed it out. I didn’t flag it but that’s basically churchill tip toeing as close as he can to the line of re-doxxing me without quite doing it. But I left it alone other than pointing it out, and shockingly it was a couple days later that more members of the clique took aim out of nowhere.

Then I share my view on the c-word and the line of logic used to defend it, while partially agreeing with Marty on some points and leading off with the agreement in a show of good faith, but when I point out that his line of logic is MAGA-adjacent, the personal attacks and insults start being slung at me by the clique. Then it’s “fuck your feelings” and “go fuck yourself you self aggrandizing arsehole” and “fuck off you ■■■■■■ and jman’s a racist. I flagged some stuff and 75% of the flags were ignored/rejected.

I’m pretty sure the closest I’ve come to a personal attack is pointing out the conservative nature and MAGA-adjacent framing of arguments by some of the pro c-word crowd.

Both sides though!

This is pretty simple IMO. Mods need to call balls and strikes. If it gets both sidesed it’s going to happen every few weeks or months. If you think it’s me, start banning me. If you think it’s them, start banning them. If you think it’s jman, start banning him.

If you don’t care who it is, make a containment thread and ban anybody who references it elsewhere.

If all of that is too complicated either permaban all people involved or accept that this is never going to stop. The half measures are a waste of time. It’s better to have a ref blowing some calls from time to time than never blowing the whistle at all while imploring both sides to stop committing so many penalties.

This. Also…

What if he prosecuted white collar crime? Murder? Internal affairs cases? Nobody knows what he prosecuted. A good prosecutor in internal affairs is doing the lord’s work. A good prosecutor for white collar crime or murder cases has little/nothing to do with the racism inherent in other parts of the system.

We could argue that the injustice elsewhere leads to life situations that precipitate other crime that is then prosecuted without direct racism, but if that’s the case is it immoral to prosecute literally any crime? Like if you’re arguing that any and every prosector is morally liable for racism, you must also be advocating for the abolition of the prosecution of any and all crimes right?

As a member, I don’t really have any problem at all with these arguments. They are easy enough to scroll past. As a mod, well, “his line of logic is MAGA-adjacent” is a very personal attack that I noticed when it happened. It’s almost exactly the same as calling him a racist or bigot or idiot or whatever and I think everyone here knows it.

This is kind of why I’m wondering if marty and jalfrezi want to be banned to show that they are being treated badly. It’s soooooo easy to not say “you’re a lying fucking racist scum” while still saying it.

I don’t really know what the average member here thinks about all of this. Clearly a few people are bothered. Do most people not even notice?

Will temp-bans accomplish anything or just make things worse? If people want temp-bans to start a record so there can be longer and longer bans and are hoping for a permaban, they should just start a thread asking the community to perma someone.

Is there any chance of some kind of negotiated settlement between the warring parties that they would agree never to say anythning to or about the other parties ever again or get perma’d?

1 Like

In the interest of not twisting your words, here’s the direct quote for all to see.

I think an independent observer would judge that my paraphrase was fair.

You specifically accused Jman of pushing for severe sentences for Black people. That is not something every prosecutor is guilty of, no. You don’t know how many Black people he prosecuted, if any, and you don’t know if there was any disparity in his sentencing recommendations. That some, even many prosecutors are racist doesn’t mean he was.

I swear to god I JUST fucking said it. My lawnmower is decidedly heavy and is hard to lift, but it is now orbiting the goddamned sun.

If Micro didn’t reply to you directly, I would delete your post, because I like to keep my promises.

2 Likes

Oh don’t worry, I will.

ezgif-2-a1dd16ba385d

2 Likes

I think it’s destroying the forum.

8 Likes

Why not just replace the entire group of mods? I mean who gives a fuck? The Euros will feel better and the current mods won’t have to deal with this shit anymore.

6 Likes

I would vote for 24 hour temp-bans, and if any posters are unable to learn how to avoid them then eventually they’ll leave out of frustration or be perma-banned.

Can someone temp churchill while we’re at it? His dis-info diarrhea is making the Covid thread unreadable.

4 Likes

The system he worked for pushed for harsher sentencing. Maybe he avoided it but it would be unlikely.

1 Like

Welp, no more mature way to handle this fact than to outright accuse him of racism out of the blue, then.

Lack of volunteers is one. Not sure why a bunch of disruptive cry babies should get positive reinforcement for their antics is two.

1 Like

And he quit. And told us years ago that he quit because he could no longer work for an unjust system. (At least that’s what I recall.) The fact that he’s still being trolled for this is harassment, and some people are lucky that I’m not a mod. Seriously why is his private life even open for discussion when he clearly doesn’t bring it up himself?

5 Likes

So we’re now considering attacks on someone’s argument or style of argument personal attacks? Like I can’t help that his argument line here was essentially “fuck your feelings I won’t change my behavior.” I’m now required to ignore that? It’s now a personal attack to point that out?

I think it’s pretty clear the community has no appetite for permas for anyone involved. I want the behavior to stop, and I don’t really care how it’s accomplished. I want mods to call balls and strikes and act. If you thought comparing his argument to a MAGA style argument was a personal attack and over the line, you should have temp banned me and posted it in the log of moderator actions IMO. If the community agrees, I now know that’s a line and can make my own decisions about how to proceed. If the community is upset, they’ll express it and you’ll know how to proceed.

I think discussing current topics on topic and respectfully should be fine. I think random rehashing of old stuff should be cause for a ban. They won’t agree because they’re the ones that keep bringing old stuff up.

Or just maybe tl;dr means too long, didn’t read?

Your nitpickery is noted. Every single person here familiar with Jman’s career (and boy did he like to boast about it on 22 before the saw the light) knows he quit that job because it finally dawned on him that he was deeply complicit in a deeply racist system of criminal “justice”.

There was even a post here some time ago from one of his pals stating this, and again from jbro recently.

You defending him is yet another example (as if we need one) of why you’re unfit to be a mod here.

So I am totally justified in saying he carried out acts of racism as part of his day job. It’s not like the Nazis were forcing him to be a camp kommandant or else kill his family; he willingly chose as an adult to do a racist system’s dirty work for money (a lot of it), and continued for some years. Well, good for him for stopping of course - but not good for him for the sanctimonious high-horsing he does on the subject of racism since (guilty much?).

Seriously indeed? Jman is one who loves to call out people for “racism” where there is none. Projection, probably. That hypcorisy is why he gets the stick he deserves over his past which he’s never given a mea culpa for. Come on.