About Moderation (old original thread)

So you’re seeing the problem with jal here. He’s literally gas lighting here in an attempt to create drama. The guys main goal when he’s here is to start a fire. It’s why I have had him on ignore for like a year lol. He can snipe at me all he wants and I give him exactly as much attention as he deserves. The problem is that other posters refuse to also put him on ignore and let him get to them and then fight with him instead of creating actual substantial content.

Other people will claim that several people lacking the self control to put jal on ignore are the problem. I would argue that those posters are the reason why ‘jUST PUT THEM ON IGNORE111’ isn’t a good argument. If one person doesn’t put him on ignore and drags most of the people in the thread into an exchange of shit posting the problem is that Jal is actively trying to start fires. Just because we have a sprinkler system doesn’t mean we should be ok with someone intentionally starting fires.

I would really like to see where I started anything as well tbqh. I got a bit toxic when people started pushing land reform, but that’s because I’m as close to certain as I get that land reform beyond tinkering with things like interest rates and zoning leads to fairly indiscriminate mass murder.

I want it to be what it was at inception and what its predecessor was, before all the vindictive polls about banning and quarantining various posters who didn’t meet with the approval of about 3 people lol.

And my reply to BS was sincere - all the “drama” going back months has been in moderation threads afaik.

3 Likes

After I’m done being a mod, I’m going to try to demonstrate by example how little of a problem this is by ignoring all these threads and all arguments for a good stretch. Not that it’s all that taxing, it’s just time for a break.

2 Likes

You and me both dude. Honestly I’m so tired of this shit it’s unreal. Such a waste of time for everyone.

Your last mod action was for this:

directed at Jbro, who left the site shortly afterwards. It certainly wasn’t the main reason he left, but it certainly didn’t help.

4 Likes

It was accurate which has always been a good enough reason for toxicity for me. I’m not in any way perfect and don’t pretend to be.

And by that point most of Jbro’s posting was just being pissed at the mods. He was on his way out already. Losing people like that is why just letting people be as toxic as they want is a bad idea. A lot of people can’t handle it. Either they leave or they participate in ways that amplify the toxicity.

Astronaut gif about how it’s always been drama. Do you people remember the nunnehi fights?

2 Likes

Yeah dude he was a huge problem and him quitting was a wonderful development for the site. The fact that we didn’t show him the door before he quit under his own power is a scandal lol.

Amazing

Every post that mentions a specific poster is a huge detriment to actually fixing things around here.

7 Likes

I’ve always assumed fights are normal around here. Has this community ever had an extended period of peace?

You’re right. I’m not trying to compromise with you guys. I think we’ve given you entirely too much compromise already. I was against the earlier compromises and every inch you guys were given you took a mile. I disagree with the factual basis of your complaints about the mods. I see you as running a Nazi style ‘accuse the other side of doing what you’re doing’ misinformation campaign where you constantly work the refs and complain while being incredibly toxic.

In short yeah I’ve got a problem with jalfrezi and every single person who thinks he has a place here.

:shrug:

Easy enough to ignore both him and the people who engaged with him. I engaged with him for a short time before not having enough time.

But, you could have started a poll if you thought he should be gone. Or you could have been a mod. But, what do you want? You want to be a non-mod who gets to ban people just by telling mods to ban people?

A fair number of people agreed with nunnehi and wanted him to post. You don’t get to just ignore that a lot of people disagree with you here. You are free to start a forum that you control and then you can get your way.

Didn’t you quite recently have a post about the huge increase of fighting and wonder if I have banned people disproportionately? (which I have)

Which I’ve done. I wouldn’t even know they were still posting if they weren’t so good at getting a rise out of other posters and getting awful threads like this started to divert the creative energies of this community into utterly worthless crap like this thread.

This thread is a perfect example of how I get involved with these posters. They say something that offends another poster I actually like (which is almost everyone), that poster says something, I fail a willpower check and view the ignored content… and then we’re off to the races.

Ignoring people doesn’t work unless everyone ignores them. They don’t so it doesn’t.

Maybe he’s expressing his views on moderation in the moderation thread?

1 Like

clovis can definitely be the hero we need. Not being sarcastic.

(Is it ok if I mention a poster positively?)

2 Likes

Ok, but what does he want? He wants Jal, Churchill and someone else permad. Mods don’t just perma regular users. I’m telling him that’s not how it works.

Do you want Wookie or skydiver to just perma people without a vote? If so, how about me? Or could Smaac perma without a vote? Pocketchads? Can he perma without a vote?

No dude. We have a few specific problem posters and we need to be clear exactly what we’re talking about. Conflict isn’t inherently a bad thing. Conflict can be necessary to get to a resolution. And that’s what these situations need… a resolution.

One group of posters has shown no capacity for peace. They have to go. The fight is never resolved for them. Even when they win it’s just giving them an advantageous setup for the next fight they plan to start because the fighting is what they’re here for.