Abolishing the Police

Chapo’s latest episode is great.

https://twitter.com/sugarseantl/status/1268611069473325057?s=21
@marty

9 Likes

Speed limit on the freeways in LA is 65 or 70 miles an hour and traffic is usually going about 3 miles an hour so I think it would work. I’m not saying there’s no value in enforcing speed limits, but if you took them all away I don’t think things would change drastically.

I do think this conversation is a lot like " how are you going to pay for it?" There is a huge amount of police abolishing to do before anyone has to worry about whether or not they are too abolished.

Happy I’m the not the only one who thinks “Which group is the one doing the vandalism?” is an idiotic take.

People are already speeding, people are already running red lights, , people are already driving drunk, people are already breaking every law imaginable. Are you saying we shouldn’t worry about that? Just keep an eye out and stay safe?

1 Like

Easy solution is to just put the police guns in the trunk of their car in the suburbs and take them away entirely in the lib cities.

1 Like

The funny thing is that as I drive on the road more than most it’s really is safer when a set of traffic lights is out, or a whole section of the city is out, people actually slow down.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1268674012709744641?s=19

1 Like

That’s why we still need traffic laws (even if poorly enforced) as well as lights or stop signs so people know what they should do. A previously lighted intersection without lights means everyone is confused and driving well below the speed limit.

So you’re saying the police aren’t doing their job? Or can’t do their job?

Edit - Whatever, I give up, I was saying it is absurd to suggest that most people obey the rules of the road because they fear the police.

1 Like

The article Smacc posted right before that described multiple cities that had improved traffic flow without lights.

1 Like

Oh I agree, here in the UK the enforcement is overboard though, I believe in a strick driving test and having road markings and traffic lights at buzy junctions and stop + Danger signs etc.

There’s many things here in the UK we could improve wrt having more roundabouts and better roads infrastructure.

Widening of our country roads and flatter surfaces all round :face_with_monocle:

Posted this morning by a retired NY cop (not the one who posted about shooting looters):

I have to say it is very bizarre that the posters advocating a complete makeover of the very structure of American society are surprised when some people are uncomfortable or have a few concerns. You don’t have much chance of success if your response to concerns over widespread structural change are just “well you must be dumb” or “lol libs or conservatives”.

Notwithstanding Sabo’s dumb assertion this whole thing has nothing to do with messaging, it obviously does. It seems the messaging is working right now. If it is going to keep working people need to allow for confusion, misunderstanding, legitimate disagreement, and even fear.

2 Likes

really drives home the “serve and protect” motto. Apparently its impossible to interact with a cop if you aren’t doing something wrong, noted.

That might make a shred of sense if police applied laws blindly or evenly. This is just a pig trying to justify a lifetime of being an oppressor and part of the problem.

If you need more roundabouts over there, we are really screwed up over here.

2 Likes

The last time I interacted with the police officer the wrong thing I was doing was sitting in my car outside my house after midnight.

Right now it is Direct Action that is working.

And if we did a pole of the people on the streets getting cracked in skulls, I bet the majority would agree with “abolish the police”.