Abolishing the Police

Dude assaults a white kid…let’s see how fast the cops find and book him.

https://twitter.com/VicStoddard/status/1268620623489560576?s=20

Then with all due respect, like, what do you want to accomplish here? I asked you a while back a pretty simple question which didn’t get answered. I believe in any large society there must exist an organization to enforce the law. Do you agree/disagree?

From the sources you posted, which I did read, it appears I finally have my answer - that you believe no, an organization like that does not have to exist. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You want community based restorative justice - am I wrong here? I see many issues with this, which I am more than willing to discuss in more detail. The crux of my issue is I see certain people as irredeemable and/or unreformable. Rapists, mass shooters, child molesters (although I am aware there is evidence that they can be reformed, however, the act itself is irreedemable to me). What do I do during an armed robbery? Is the citizenry expected to have a well armed militia to deal with threats like this, or active shooters? And yes I am aware guns are the main problem here. If they don’t exist though, what do I do about someone that murders my wife? My child? Reform him? Hell nah, to me. And I think to most people as well.

I have a million questions like this besides the fact that I think a community organized justice system would be inherently corrupt, but I suspect we cannot find common ground on due to my fundamental beliefs about human nature but maybe I am wrong.

3 Likes

Abolish the police vs reform the police has practical implications right now. Dems love to throw money at the police and imagine they will behave well if only they have enough diversity training and four year degrees. Instead defund them. Cut their budgets. Cut their ranks. Take away their weapons. Give them less power. Move in that direction.

10 Likes

It’s the same kind of intellectual laziness as in the landlord thread. Like calling for the abolition of something because it makes you feel righteous, even though it has about a 0.000001% possibility of ever happening.

3 Likes

And the same [redacteds] are saying it can’t be done just like M4A and every single thing that will make the world a better place.

3 Likes

This is infuriating. And I know, I know, internet tough guy, but this dude is old af and would be pretty easy to tackle and hold down until authorities got there. Esp if he touched my daughter.

2 Likes

No, I disagree and hope I didnt come off that way.I think there is something there and generally I am very in favor of restorative justice vs punitive. I just can’t really envision a world where some kind of police force doesn’t exist - and it seems I am not alone, even with people in the “abolish the police” movement/ideology.

1 Like

Cliffnotes of Jan’s response:

1 Like

How many countries have guaranteed healthcare?

How many countries have no domestic police departments?

4 Likes

An ideal world would have no need for police. Right? Obviously it isn’t possible to get all the way there but maybe we should work towards that world rather than just throwing our hands up and accepting the combination of militarized police and racial/socioeconomic inequality that is causing the problem. That is going to require radical change to the status quo not just simply a few new regulations or something.

jmakin, I wasn’t calling you intellectually lazy. I was agreeing with you.

Who is doing that here?

No i know, I’m just saying i dont think “abolish the police” is intellectually lazy. I think the system is fundamentally broken on every level and wanting to tear it down is perfectly rational. I think we all just disagree on the how, or have differing expectations of human behavior that don’t align with our personal experiences and beliefs.

It’s a discussion worth having, which is why i’m confused the pro “abolish the police” people dont seem to want to have it.

4 Likes

Team USA VORP (Value Over Replacement Police) = -10

Ok.

I watched the local news coverage and they had an interview with the guy who filmed it, who is also young, probably late teens. I don’t think the young girl’s parents were there, she was out with two older teens/young adults. I can see why they didn’t try to take the cyclist on themselves.

2 Likes

Maybe no one? But it sure seems like to me disarming the police is about as much of a fantasy as abolishing them. So when I see a bunch of people scolding other posters about their lack of pragmatism, to me that seems like some just want to make reforms within our current police construct. Which has been tried already and been a giant failure.

https://twitter.com/CongBaseballFan/status/1268484778405158913

2 Likes

Get the cops out of schools and stop making every damn park ranger and the like a sworn officer. It didn’t use to be like that.

2 Likes

I think you’ve egregiously misinterpreted my post.