Abolishing the Police

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1296941495057027074

3 Likes

rad

3 Likes

I suspect we’re going to be dealing with Biden returning to his core values a lot while his team tries to walk everything back. Things like how drug dealers should be executed. Should be fun.

It’s legit nuts he bragged about expanding civil forfeiture in the same speech (30 years ago!). Why not focus your critique on the actual death penalty which should be outlawed? But no, you have to claim his core principal is the death penalty for drug dealers when that law expanded it to drug cases that also involved murder.

If this was a honest mistake, no worries. If it was intentional then it’s very dishonest. There is plenty enough to criticize without making things up.

I mean, you do you and everything, but do you really want to be the, “actually joe Biden isn’t that bad,” guy? The guy is super old and holds a bunch of terrible positions, this doesn’t end well for us.

One thing that I’m not sure about is Biden’s beliefs. Near as I can tell he’s spent his entire career changing as needed to be smack dab in the middle of the Democratic Party. I don’t see any evidence that he’s motivated by ideology at all.

1 Like

In the last clip I posted Biden made the case that he’s worse than Trump.

1 Like

In addition to Biden bragging about how much more in favor of funding the police he is than Trump. We already know how an administration with his kind of leadership acts when people protest and organize. Hint: it’s really similar to Trump.

“a terrifying network of coordinated DHS, FBI, police, regional fusion center, and private-sector activity so completely merged into one another that the monstrous whole is, in fact, one entity: in some cases, bearing a single name, the Domestic Security Alliance Council. And it reveals this merged entity to have one centrally planned, locally executed mission. The documents, in short, show the cops and DHS working for and with banks to target, arrest, and politically disable peaceful American citizens.”

" a nationwide meta-plot unfolding in city after city in an Orwellian world: six American universities are sites where campus police funneled information about students involved with OWS to the FBI, with the administrations’ knowledge (p51); banks sat down with FBI officials to pool information about OWS protesters harvested by private security; plans to crush Occupy events, planned for a month down the road, were made by the FBI – and offered to the representatives of the same organizations that the protests would target; and even threats of the assassination of OWS leaders by sniper fire – by whom? Where? – now remain redacted and undisclosed to those American citizens in danger, contrary to standard FBI practice to inform the person concerned when there is a threat against a political leader (p61).

As Mara Verheyden-Hilliard, executive director of the PCJF, put it, the documents show that from the start, the FBI – though it acknowledges Occupy movement as being, in fact, a peaceful organization – nonetheless designated OWS repeatedly as a “terrorist threat”"

https://twitter.com/wttw/status/1298036112477192194?s=21

Pathetic. Dem AG doesn’t even want reform but vote blue no matter who I guess

https://twitter.com/sacbee_news/status/1298953919410962433?s=21

4 Likes

I’m so fucking tired of libs using these events of the past few months as a GOTV campaign. The Democrats are part of the system in systemic racism. Their leaders are perfectly happy releasing the police on protestors but at least they’ll kneel before they do it.

3 Likes

Did not read because of the popups, but California should be a lesson here. The ruling party is always going to be pretty conservative and law and order - witness Kamala Harris and Dianne Feinstein.

Otoh, given the political system we have and the electorate, a popular Democratic party that contains a pretty broad swath of conservative leaning people is literally the best we can hope for.

On the third hand, this hardly means the Democrats should get to live without opposition outside the Republican party.

https://twitter.com/christinajedra/status/1311347629750546433?s=21

The clearance rate for homicides in Chicago is less than 10%. With a large sample.

Peter Thiel sucks

https://twitter.com/buzzfeednews/status/1311018852818526209?s=21

1 Like

No

1 Like

My proposal is to improve economics to reduce gang crime. Those cases are legitimately difficult to solve because witnesses don’t come forward.

Even though the probability of getting caught is low, it’s not zero. I don’t see an alternative to the big swinging dick in society being beholden to the law. Given the number of times we call for Republicans to be arrested, I think most here understand that.

There was a You’re Wrong About episode on murder recently where they discussed the low homicide clearance rates. Unfortunately my brain is a sieve and I don’t remember everything they said about it. One of the things though was that the profile of homicides has changed a lot over the years, with a greater proportion now being drug-related crime and/or homicides where the perpetrator is not known to the victim, which are obviously harder to solve. For example, intimate partner homicides declined a ton between the 1970s and 2000.

Interesting sidebar, the lion’s share of that decline was a decline in the number of men killed by their partners.

I would presume this reflects the fact that women have better options now than killing an abusive partner - i.e. domestic violence prevention services, shelters, greater financial autonomy, etc.

But anyway, I don’t think arguments about the hopelessness of police in the US are dispositive about what should be done. There are a bunch of countries with functional police forces, so you can’t argue that such things are impossible. In any case the low homicide clearance rate is basically irrelevant. A lot of these murders are drug-related. We obviously don’t actually want the war on drugs reignited, but neither will abolishing the police prevent drug-related crime. What is required is drug decriminalization and treating drug use as a public health issue. I think a lot of the underlying issues in the debate are like this, in other words the dysfunctional policing is a symptom of underlying social problems, which are not going to go away if the police do.

2 Likes

2nd time right in front of my house (ok across the street and two doors down) someone called the police on me. I was doing something to my van at 7:30pm. After dark. OMG. I was out there for maybe 10 minutes.

eta: 3rd time if you count calling about my truck parked in front of some Chad’s house.

1 Like