Abolishing landlords -- it's well past time

Huh? Since removal orders require a hearing and then a judge’s signature, this would seem to be the opposite of “mob rule.”

I mean, this is an enormous derail I’d just as soon not go down but no, of corse legal doesn’t make it moral. Laws are at best a lagging indicator of what we think is moral (filtered through the power dynamics of a society etc.).

1 Like

By mob I mean organized crime, not a bunch of people.

So does that make a Housing Court judge the Godfather? :)

Yes. And the cops are the goons.

Is someone going to eventually define their utopian alternative to Landlordism (and capitalism as a whole I guess), but like, with an actual plan. How that plan would be implemented, and then carried out?

It’s a good thing goonery, violence, and corruption never ever happen in alternate systems.

are you skipping the part where like 30million people died?

So just like the flu?

And I guess the standard of living did increase for all of the Russians who survived by consuming all of the Ukraine’s crops.

Nothing violent to see there.

I never even claimed the status quo was more violent, I just (imo) accurately characterized evictions as violent and some people can’t handle the truth.

I agree that evictions are violent or under threat of violence so same thing. I don’t see anyone else really disputing that either?

The reason you’re talking about this now is because:

When I read that entire post I don’t see any disagreement. More like, ya so what.

If you don’t think olink is denying that evictions are violent, I don’t know what to say.

Yeah the state has many coercive tools that are short of violence. But violence is implicit in the state is what I’m saying, and gets used against renters regularly, against landlords never.

And now people are talking about Lenin and Stalin. Talk about not being able to handle the truth.

1 Like

All property ownership is implicitly violent. The tenant’s exclusive use of the rental is backed by implicit violence.

What would happen if some third party other than the landlord or tenant tried to squat in the rental while the tenant was away for a weekend? Are police allowed to remove that person or is the tenant stuck with a new roommate?

its like, idk, feline cat.

Is that also olink denying that cats are feline? Or just saying, so what?

Not as violent as kicking some lad out of your house.