Abolishing landlords -- it's well past time

I’ve been in a bunch of low-income housing including public housing and my answer is not bad. The giant projects built in the 60s and before were a big mistake (though it’s not certain what the intentions were - as far as the intentions were segregation, they were a success). Public or subsidized housing built since that era has been much better. And, apples for apples (same size projects and concentrations of poverty), public housing is not worse than private housing.

My problems with Section 8 (and I took it as a landlord) had more to do with getting the money and bureaucracy than with tenants being more destructive than market tenants.

79% of people in Singapore living in public housing. It’s not a problem. Segregation and concentrations of poverty are a problem.

Yeah, I know where you are coming from. But, it’s the second poaster ITT who has whined “what about the poor, poor, poor, landlords ???/?”. I don’t really want that whole stupid, stupid, stupid distraction ITT either. But here we are.

Let’s see if we can ask some nice & simple general questions here.

1. Often, those who whine “what about the landlords?” are trying to make the point that some landlords are nicer than other landlords, in a personal kinda way. Which I think we all can agree is true. For some inexplicable reason, these whiners somehow imagine this is a gotcha. It’s not, it’s a “So, what’s your point?”. Bottom line: So what, who cares?.

I could go on, and on… it’s all just whining and rationalizations. It’s all B.S. Don’t let this nonsense, and it is all nonsense, become a distraction. Keep the eyes on the prize…

2 Likes

That’s fair, and my view is likely biased by virtue of seeing the result of so many units being destroyed.

Lol you are so full of shit it’s not even funny. I’ve been a case manager and one of my responsibilities was to visit homes of clients. I’ve had to call CPS because of how shitty their public housing was.

As usual with you conservative types, you look at life though YOUR lens and give nary a thought to how others may have different experiences.

Don’t make it about personality then.

I believe you think there’s far more money in managing the average rental unit than there actually is. Most are relying entirely on the appreciation of property values to make the numbers work. So unless you think you’re being taken advantage of, I’m not even sure what the point of abolishing landlords would be. If you artificially depress housing prices, how are you going to get any more built?

What’s the end game here? “Free” rent?

I’ve seen units destroyed. There was one unit in one of my buildings that literally had chicken bones all over the floor, like hundreds of them, and I could not collect rent until I could get the unit free of cockroaches. One unit was destroyed because someone left a shower on for who knows how long - maybe a week. Lotta landlords suck. Lotta tenants suck. I do think some people don’t understand either side, but I think you maybe lack the imagination to reckon that there might be a problem with the system that leads to all of it.

I agree 100%.

The person-ability of the landlord, or equivalently the orders of more common situation regarding the employees of the landlord or their property management company, are simply not relevant to the discussion at hand. This extends to any and all anecdotal stories about how “Old Mrs Johnson let me pay a week late when my husband died”/etc. That shiz makes me want to throw up.

Everyone should take this kinda crapola to another thread.

Please.

2 Likes

Counterpoint: If my landlord’s property tax goes up 2%, why should he be allowed to raise rent 20%?

I think the “system” in this case is just the people behind it. As you said, some people suck. If someone wants to explain how a simple landlord/tenant mechanic creates all these problems, please do.

Otherwise, I’m confused by statements like this:

What crapola?

How does any of this change with the absence of private ownership? Unless you think you’ll be able to live for free if the local housing authority owns the building. What is this thread actually about?

He probably can’t, DUCY? Unless you think there’s a conspiracy by ALL landlords to jack up prices unnecessarily. If that’s true, then I think your area is a great investment opportunity for new development to take advantage of the likely demand for cheaper housing. What confuses me though is that you probably understand that government is the one stopping that solution. So why not direct your ire toward them?

Yeah, this doesn’t work without strictly-enforced requirements for social housing quotas in new developments. Only so much development $ swirling around and it all wants to go where the most return is, which is high-end development. It’s not even clear that vast tracts of low-cost housing are desirable, since it can have a ghettoising effect.

I don’t really know what other people’s idea for a new system would be for the construction and use of residential housing would be and I’m sure it varies quite a bit from poster to poster.

The cost to build and maintain housing isn’t tied to anyone’s particular income though, so… there’s a disconnect here in your cashflow.

A great documentary on this is S5E21 of Bob’s Burgers, “The Oeder Games”

1 Like

Maybe he’s thinking of Austria? About 1/3 of housing in Vienna is public housing; some of it quite artful:

Also, I hope you don’t want to abolish all Lords! :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Yeah I agree. Let’s abolish whatever Inso is doing to make a living.

3 Likes

I was under the impression that Germany has a high proportion of state-owned rental properties.

Unless you’re saying you only charge $40/month in rent, this is a lie. The increased equity you have in that home is profit.

Like, if my employer tomorrow said “hey, catface, starting next month I’ll pay you your wages, plus I’ll pay your mortgage payment for you” - did I get a raise or not? The money going into my bank account on payday hasn’t changed.

I suspected as much, but I’m trying to imagine what a world of single payer everything looks like. Probably pretty great, at least until too many people realize someone else will foot the majority of the bills. I don’t totally hate the idea of living in a grey windowless box to keep costs low enough to make it work, but I won’t rule out the possibility of violence to take over that sweet apartment in the @von_Internet post.

Sort of, but not really.

You’re forgetting the part where someone first had to buy the building. That requires significant capital up front. That appreciation is factored into the decision to buy in the first place, otherwise the investor would’ve been better off sinking that cash into a vehicle that doesn’t come with all the risk and headaches of property ownership.

During the '00s I owned a 10-unit, low income property that I actively managed. I always welcomed Section 8, due to the guaranteed payment and the ability to charge near the top of what fair rentals were charging.

In my experience, the Section 8 tenants were usually as good are better than the other low income people, because they knew if they were evicted for good cause THEY WERE PERMANENTLY THROWN OFF OF THE SECTION 8 PROGRAM.

My theory about the various reasons why landlords refuse to accept Section 8:

1. They are ignorant about how the program works, or
  2. They assume, like Inso, that these types of poor people are gutter trash, or
  3. They refuse to make the repairs they know will be necessary to pass the Section 8 housing inspection before the renter is allowed to move in. In other words, they’re slumlords.
8 Likes