Abolishing landlords -- it's well past time

And constant cap ex is required.

I couldn’t find 1 property in my city with 5% capex of revenues and the property cashed flowed more than a few % points return.

Find me 1 multi unit listing in San Fran or LA where you have a real estate license that cash flows like your friend in Arkansas. Since your friend in Arkansas is the gold standard of real estate, extrapolate that over to California where 40M people live.

And like I said, how the eff does 1.5 million new houses get built without landlords. We need new housing every year. How does it get built if someone doesn’t fork over the money to get it built.

I ask you how new houses get built. You reply your friend in Arkansas has already a built house! Do I have to walk you through everything?

You are in construction industry?

Godspeed good lad. I hope things work out well for you.

I may disagree with some of the your ideas but you are good people.

Keep us updated on the situation.

Good man. You are backbone of our society. Cities don’t function without you guys. Keep it up.

Unfortunately, it’s not unlikely that in a few months, the number of people not paying rent will dwindle to such an extent that it can objectively be said Rent Strike 2020 is effectively over. Crushed, if you will.

However, we don’t keep score that way. We have the proverbial seven generation view. We know our history. We never forget. None of us imagine any one action is going to magically change the world. We know it takes La Lucha, sometimes lifetimes of La Lucha. We expect so-called crushing, in fact we expect to usually be so crushed. None of that will ever stop us.

We don’t keep score that way. Every action builds on previous actions. Future actions will build on Rent Strike 2020. Right now, today, this has been a historic victory. We’ve already won. We’re in the bonus round right now. We’ve already locked up …

• Millions of people now know what a rent strike is, and that it “works”.
  • Thousands, if not millions, will end up being radicalized.
  • Personal connections, networking if you will, that will last a lifetime in the radical communities, has been forged.
  • All important practical experience in nuts-n-bolts of organizing has been gained.
  • The violent farce that was the old status-quo has been laid bare… for those with eyes to see.
  • And most important of all… thousands of people have not yet been evicted… every person/month off the streets is an incredible win… just right there we’ve already won big !!!1!

and also available in the bonus round…

• #cancelRent. No back rent.
  • Amnesty for rent strikers.
  • Regularizing collective bargaining with the landlords.
  • Anti-eviction action ~ fuck yea !!!1!
  • Decriminalization of rent striking.
  • Decriminalization of squatting.
  • Whatever reforms our reformist allies would like to try to finagle.

A fool on the intewebs giving a Wobbly advice on his credit scores. You just can’t make this shit up,

As a veteran of Occupy, take my word for this: no.

Unlike Occupy, which was about nothing, was orders of magnitude smaller, and could be said to be mainly involved in yelling at buildings… Rent Strike 2020 is about one of the three pillars of modern capitalism, is orders of magnitude larger, and is actively disrupting the flow of profits.

1 Like

As I said, we’ve already won. Every person/month off the streets is an incredible victory. Everything else is gravy.

1 Like

I encourage you to do so. My friend has a math and computer science degree. I can say his life definitely is a lot less work than what you do.

It would be easier if you were intellectually honest. You know most houses are built for sale to owners who are not intending to be landlords. You know that right?

You and me, my friend. And everyone else that is paying rent, or a mortgage, or a lease. We are in fact forking over the money.

That is where the money is coming from.

And like I said, how the eff does 1.5 million new cars get built without leasing companies. We need new cars every year. How do cars get built if someone doesn’t fork over the money to get it built.

I ask you how new cars get built. You reply your friend in Arkansas has already a used car! Do I have to walk you through everything?

OK, I’ll explain how cars get built too.

Or at least how a large car part was made. Let’s travel to 6375 North Paramount Boulevard, Long Beach CA and visit TABC. Back in the day, TABC primarily made truck beds for Tacoma pickups. If you drove I-5 to NorCal in those days there was a 100% chance you’d see one of the special made trailers that shipped these beds 24/365 to the now closed NUMI plant in Hayward.

The truck beds were stamped in one operation from large sheets of sheet metal in one of about a dozen 2000 ton production presses. The working area in these machines is large enough to play 9-handed hold’em inside. Of course, if such a game was going on, and the press was operated, you’d have 10 icky pools of liquefied guts that used to be the players and the dealers. To help keep that from happening, there were electrically interlocked safety fences surrounding these huge production presses.

TABC had Amada brand presses that were about the size of the pictured 600 ton travelling press.

However, tools need periodic maintenance, and when such was needed, a big old (Toyota brand) fork-lift would move the production tooling over to the adjacent tool & die shop building. There the the tooling was installed on one of two 50 ton presses called “spotting presses”. The spotting presses weren’t powerful enough to do production on, so they bent cardboard instead of sheet metal. To do maintenance on the tooling, the tool & die folks necessarily need to be constantly enter & exit the working area. For this reason, and the fact they were never used for production, and only used by the small numbers of specially trained tool & die folks, there was no safety equipment on these two machines. Unlike the production presses which had a fixed control stand outside the safety fence, the spotting presses were controlled by a little box that hung from the ceiling on a long cable. Think of the end of that Terminator movie.

Tragically people get sloppy, and this is what happened. These presses don’t operate fast. So the tool & die folk would bring the box on the cable into the work area, so they could save a few seconds, and start the press operating as they stepped out. That worked fine until a poor soul got his clothing snagged on the tooling.

This is a press which would commonly be used for “spotting”. TABCs were much larger, of course.

After that death, the industrial engineering company I worked for were called in design and install safety equipment on these spotting presses. The first person who greeted us on the factory floor was the shop steward. He said the day after the death he called a meeting with management. The first thing he said was: “This should never happen again”. The company president responded: “Hell no! Not on my watch it won’t”. Because of the nature of tool & die work, we didn’t install a safety fence, but we did make it physically impossible to operate the press from inside the press.

Moral of the story: Safety first is always job #1. That, and no car leasing companies are involved in manufacturing cars.

The labourer and supplier got paid up front before rent got paid.

I have yet to see a labourer collect monthly rent for work he did building a house.

So again. Labourer and supplier and renter stare at each other on that piece of dirt.

You still can’t figure out how to get that house thrown up without calling that capitalist to fork over the money and get it built first.

Danby wants to rent a new house. Danby finds labourer willing to put up a house using his own dime. Danby signs a lease with labourer saying Danby will pay rent every month.

Labourer takes his profit and sells the house to a capitalist so labourer can get paid right away.

Danby wakes up with a GASP, a LANDLORD. Danby calls Sabo and cries over the phone.

Or

Danby wakes up 1 year later and moves out to go live with his mom.

Danbo walks along and sees a nice house he wants to rent. Labourer owns the house and signs lease with Danbo at a higher rent. Labourer now making a nice profit every month. Labourer refinances and pulls his money out so he can build another house.

Labourer rinse and repeats and ends up building 1000 houses this way. Labourer stops building houses and now just collects rent.

Well we did remove the middleman. Yet here we are, back full circle.

So, is there anything substantially different between houses being rented out and cars being rented out? For our purposes here ITT, which of the following do you feel is most true?

• Yes. A car manufacturer is substantially different =vs= a building manufacturer
  • Yes. A car part supplier is substantially different =vs= a building part supplier
  • Yes. A driver is substantially different =vs= a resident
  • No. They are all functionally equivalents

0 voters

The story of @ Danby’s aborted trip to France

@ Danby wants to visit France. @ Danby finds a cabby willing to drive him there in his own cab. @ Danby signs a contract with the cabby saying @ Danby will pay the fare in monthly installments.

The cabby takes that contract with him while he sells blood, so his wife can get a transfusion right away if needed. She has bone cancer.

@ Danby wakes up with a GASP, a landlord is wandering through his bedroom showing wanna-be landlords how cool it is just to wander through someone’s home as a goof. Sabo and cries over the phone.

Or… @ Danby wakes up 1 year later after being in a coma. Because of the head trauma, he goes to live with his mom.

A recovering @ Danbo walks along and sees a nice lawnmower he wants to rent. A garden supply store owns the lawnmower and a clerk signs a lease with @ Danbo at a higher rent they charge for a trimmer. The clerk makes the same wages every month. The clerk refinances his home and pulls his money out so he can go on vacation to France.

The clerk rinses his laundry and repeats and ends up with 100 clean shirts this way. The clerk stops doing laundry and now just heads on this way to France.

Well we did remove the cabby. Yet here we are, back full circle. The clerk is headed to France, and @ danby is still recovering from head trauma at his mom’s house.

Just then… the unsafe coal mine below @ danby’s mom’s house collapses, and he, his mom, and her house were sucked down into the earth, never to be seen again. THE END.

I told you I am never going to answer Qs about what your own little fantasy characters may, or may not, do in your own little fantasy worlds. Why do you keep bringing up that childish crap?

If you have a point, you should be able to articulate that point directly and in a stand-alone manner. There is never a need to imagine up these little fantasy characters of yours. There is never a need to imagine up these little fantasy worlds of yours. There is never a need to play this stupid, stupid game which you seem to be insisting I must play with you. Just spit out your alleged point.

Another thing… peeps have had this shit all figured out for 100s of years. It’s lol-tastical that you, a fool on the interwebs, imagine you have come up with simple minded “gotchas”, off the top of your head, while giving things -zero- thought at all, that everyone else simply missed for centuries.

SMH @ fools.

OK, I’ll answer your stupid Q truthfully, and in good faith. here goes…

Why not consider already existing rental units?

I’ve never heard of anyone saying: “Damn I gotta get sucked dry by the landlords again. But this time I’m only going to consider ~1% of the rentals out there. That’s because I want to make sure that there was never ever anyone else previously living there. You see, I’m scared of catching diseases that way”, or some such non sense.

Us in the industry call this spec building.

Whoever @ Danby pays rent to is his landlord.

It’s completely irrelevant that the property management company also happens to have a separate in-house construction department. Just like in leasing a car… some car manufactures do in-house leasing, or there are independent car leasing companies. Either way car leasing != car manufacturing in exactly the same way as property management != construction.

LOL no, this property management company is @ Danby’s landlord.

If they sell the rental unit to a different landlord nothing has changed. That fact that one, both, or neither happen to have a separate in-house construction department is, once again, completely irrelevant.

Whoever @ Danby pays rent to is his landlord.

The fact that his landlord also does honest work as his “day job”, in construction, or car manufacturing, or in any other field, again isn’t at all relevant.

No, your story just swapped one for the other. At all times, @ Danby had a landlord. So bottom line, your story don’t make a lick’o’sense.

It’s bizarre imagining a renting folk who has some crazy phobia against pre-occupied units. I can’t imagine what point you are imagining you are making by dreaming up this absurd hypothetical. And no… the middleman never went away. So your story leads absolutely nowhere.

Happy?

Here, maybe this might help…

!=

Just as…

!=

Back at you my brother from the Historic Local #13. Sunday we appropriated $100 to Richmond Mutual Aid. Hopefully I shipped it to VA (not NorCal). Stay Sabo (-tabby and dog) strong!

To the extent you are able to, and feel so inclined, I’m curious about the nuts & bolts regarding your experiences with Rent Strike 2020. And perhaps a quick overview of radical organizing in the Richmond VA area, and how the Richmond GMB/GDC figures into all this.

It might be a pleasant diversion from mindlessly staring at dirt.

Err, a shit ton of construction companies offer financing, which of course includes labor and material costs. Again, were you really raised by wolfs?

ZERO DOWN • 100% FINANCING • NO PAYMENTS FOR 6 MONTHS

Save thousands of dollars with in-house financing!.. That means you can be in your new, custom built home without spending a penny in up-front closing costs…

There are usually no out-of-pocket expenses when you finance with United Built Homes. You’re practically home free!

https://www.ubh.com/pages/how-it-works/financing/

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/1264370322402234368?s=20

OK, i realize my last A wasn’t as nice as it could have been either. Hey, this whole being a typical SoCal liberal is new to me… what can I say.

Anyways, I was trying to make a few points here…

#1 This whole idea of an impending housing shortage crisis isn’t a given. In fact, it doesn’t even make sense. But even if we assume it did make sense, we should be able to roughly quantify it, and th current situation of over-production and over-supply are relevant.

If we are talking about this alleged crises as looming off 50 years from now, there is no reason to start doing the violence of evictions again today. If we don’t see any measurable and objective signs of this alleged crisis in 25 years, we can put off doing the violence of evictions for still another generation.

#2. There can really not be an decrease in the percentage of folks housed, and certainly no significant decrease gross number of folks housed. Reason being, as we are seeing in real time during this pandemic, is capitalism is always on the brink of collapsing, and bringing civil society down with it.

A significant minority of today’s homeless folk are helpless. If the capitalists don’t allow the next level up, which are the very hard working poor, to live indoors… the helplessness of our homeless folks is greatly diluted. Twice the homeless folk on the streets, half of which know how, and can, outwork most any of us would be just as destabilizing to the capitalists as a pandemic. Imagine 21st century, radicalized, networked, these everywhere, each locally disrupting the flow of profits…

Bottom line…

The capitalists will “create” us housing, one way or the other, either individually by their own greed, or collectively (via public housing) by their own fear.

1 Like