A Walrus for lovers of tight seals (and music) REVEAL

Afrosendtrix

It was a great movie and quite the sendoff for Huge Jacked Man. Agreed about Dafne Keen. Agh, if only, but now I fear that one outing is the one time we’ll see her in the role. Have you seen her in His Dark Materials? I’ve heard the latest adaptation is excellent, but I’ve yet to give it a shot. I might check it out though just to see how she’s grown as an actor.

1 Like

precocious girl.

2 Likes

In for the rail!..

…aaaand I missed it by several hours, gonna catch up now though!

2 Likes

The movie is shit, Dune is shit, you are shit :grinning:

2 Likes

I could have easily gone with sky’s Last of the Mohicans submission, but I suspect I would have balked at the last second because it would have seemed too obvious to me personally, then again, I have a habit of watching DD akimbo some Hurons every Thanksgiving Day, so dodging this placing would have been more luck than taste.

Could have gone with some early Enya via Clannad from same film, iconic in its own right.

Still, I would have thought a bit more and then Providence & Impeccable Judgment would have eventually led me to this, as it has just now; the correct answer to this walrus is

2 Likes

I feel betrayed. I also am sad I totally missed this reveal…weekends are busy for me :frowning:

This may be my last walrus forever.

also, good job field on not choosing a single John Williams track!

1 Like

This movie sounds incredible

1 Like

Amazing reveal, even though it took place whilst I was peacefully asleep. Happy with third, and am impressed with everything else I’ve heard so far. He doesn’t need it as he fights his corner with tremendous zeal, but I would lend my endorsement of The City of Lost Children as a great film to Johnny’s if it’s allowed.

Also, have to say thanks for dropping all the knowledge bombs, I had no idea there was a third version of “The Taking of Pelham 123”—a TV movie from the late 90s with Vincent D’Onofrio! I am off now to try and track down a copy.

3 Likes

I have not seen HDM, but am interested for the exact same reason.

1 Like

I struggled to score Johnny’s submission for this reason. Its place in history is assured. It’s a classic that influenced my favorite filmmakers and my favorite films, such as

• Alex Proyas in his still-incredible movie Dark City. This is currently streaming for free on Vudu, though it is regrettably the original edition, not the director’s cut. Still well worth your time. What the hell happened to Proyas, anyway? He went from The Crow (amazing) to Dark City (incredible) to…Knowing starring Nic Cage? WTF?

• The Thirteenth Floor, which was in itself based on a German television series called World on a Wire by Rainer Werner Fassbinder. Rainer is seen as a vital catalyst for the New German Cinema movement. And he was, as you might have guessed, profoundly influenced by Jean-Luc Godard, a filmmaker whose influence is felt from City of Lost Children to Stuart Little.

• The Wachowski siblings and The Matrix. If you watch The Thirteenth Floor, you’ll see why I felt like the ending for Matrix: Reloaded was foreshadowing a very different reveal for Revolutions.

• And of course Christopher Nolan’s Inception

But this was a Walrus about the track, and is the track really worthy of a Walrus crown? Not to me. No no, not to me.

1 Like

If there’s been a recent theatrical remake of an old movie, chances are someone already made a little-know made-for-tv adaptation in the 90s :P

1 Like

I love evolutions like that in how we experience movies.

Wait until we go through category 2 for best song from a soundtrack!

2 Likes

Have you thought about when this will be? No pressure. Just wondering.

Worst case scenario is a new reveal every Sunday.

I am knee deep in a project and am making Walrus shops while thinking through the entries.

4 Likes

Since there’s no Walrus general chit chat thread, Risky is going to have to put up with a lot of notifications about my random posts in here.

I was just skimming @LouisCyphre’s Walrus for old time’s sake, and it’s a very different cast of contestants! Would be nice to see new submissions in the future from those OGs.

4 Likes

Yar I was wondering if it was a good idea to create a “Walrus discussion” or “Walrus Meta” thread just for discussing ideas and formats for the game itself, and general chit-chat.

Speaking of OG’s - I was just thinking yesterday that part of the reason the game caught on so well here is how good of a job ChrisV did with the first Walrus on the forum. It was a masterful display imo that really helped to set a standard.

5 Likes

If I may make a suggestion - perhaps putting a pin in the second group of 5 categories is a good idea at this point? I think you should allow some flexibility for yourself as to how soon you might be ready to do another 5 categories. You can just consider the first 5 categories their own Walrus, and if you decide you are happy to keep cracking on as host you can run the other 5 categories as a separate Walrus which also allows for more (or different) people to sign up. Just gives a lot more flexibility all around.

Totally up to you of course :)

I think that is a good idea. We will limit it to the first five. Several people have already submitted for the next set. I will of course allow them to keep their entries as is, or to resubmit.