A Monkeypox on Both Your Houses: Chapter 1 - Surely This Will Blow Over Soon

They don’t do either of these things though. They monitor disease. Lewis does a good job in his book of laying out how they have “gotten out of the business” of preventing disease and put all their resources into gathering data and generating reports and white papers for handing off to other agencies.

And they’re mostly going to start in major cities with international airports, which are liberal strongholds. The first waves will hit liberals hardest, then eventually if it gets to that point, science deniers and anti-vaxxers. But most monkeypox deaths will be in children under 8, and about 60% of their risk will be spread across years before they’d likely be vaccinated anyway, if 5 years old were the cut off.

I think monkeypox will ultimately impact more liberals.

Right I think the Uber wealthy will do as mosdef said. The liberal upper middle class over like 40 years of age will probably have enough resources to shield themselves somewhat from the risk, so it should hit conservatives harder as a result if they neglect to shield themselves.

Then the next step down in resources there’s still the pretty simple “don’t buy a home near a flood plain,” which is already something that should be on everyone’s radar but probably skews very liberal.

Nice, that’s nice.

19 days to double to 32k. I like where this is headed.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/bbcworld/status/1557302738744115201?s=21&t=qry499eZTzhV00p5WXdUsg

:vince3:

:vince1:

1 Like

Similar viruses only have fatality rates between 40-75%, so should be fine.

Nobody has died of this one, and it was first spread to humans back in 2018. They have no evidence of human-to-human transmission, despite the 35 cases. It probably does, given the number of cases, but it also doesn’t seem likely to cause a major outbreak, nor a lot of death if it does.

Glad you’re not Riveman

1 Like

gonna need a polio thread soon

https://twitter.com/emmagf/status/1558093929639301120

We’ve already got one. That’s probably where your pony is right now.

2 Likes

@anon38180840 how you doing? Update on your friend and the baby? Hope everything turned out ok.

1 Like

Just got my first monkeypox patient whooo hoo

5 Likes

Not counting online patients?

So my buddy showed up at the urgent care without using the mp word and the doctor said it looked like folliculitis, and wouldn’t give a test because he wasn’t vomiting - which is not a monkeypox symptom.

I was going to go to Philly on Monday, but my bumps dried up and got smaller and scabbed over, and I wasn’t sure they’d even be able to swab them.

The other symptoms resolved around then. So no clue what it was. Maybe folliculitis, maybe something random, maybe a mild case of monkeypox. I’m like 95% confident it wasn’t monkeypox.

It’s pretty scary to go from like 2-3 bumps to 15-20 and have some start filling up with pus when monkeypox is going around, the fear of waking up the next day to 100 bumps or way worse bumps is not fun.

But whatever it was, it never got too bad and it seems to be over. My buddy hasn’t brought it up in a few days so he must be fine, and the baby had a few ill-timed pimples - they never multiplied past the 2 or 3 and never got bigger or got pus in them.

4 Likes

Don’t have a link, but the first pediatric case was reported in Florida.

I think we need corporate sponsored diseases to really drive home the late stage capitalist dystopia. Monkeying By Burberry has a nice ring to it.

5 Likes

A Pox on Both Your Wrists, by Rolex.

5 Likes