A Monkeypox on Both Your Houses: Chapter 1 - Surely This Will Blow Over Soon

I mean hypothetically if it makes us 10% more susceptible that’s going to be pretty hard to notice in most diseases. It’s only going to be obvious if the R0 tipped from just below 1 to just above 1. Monkeypox was like 0.9.

Sounds like we’re getting into unfalsifiable territory here.

“It’s definitely happening with other diseases, but just to an extent that is nearly imperceptible” is a hard sell (as it should be).

1 Like

As I said above…

But yeah we’ve had some worse illnesses anecdotally from what I’ve heard. Flu and RSV seasons were worse for kids, supposedly.

I got that you’re not claiming it as fact. I’m just saying as theories go, it’s pretty far-fetched. And the Flu and RSV seasons being worse are also easily explained by COVID precautions preventing from people getting them on the usual schedule.

1 Like

Monkeypox isn’t a thing, and even if it was, it wouldn’t be a thing. We have reached our thing capacity.

4 Likes

This is true. We have reached our thing capacity.

1 Like

Monkeypox R is way above 1 though. Case growth is slower than COVID, but that’s likely due largely to longer generations.

I don’t think monkeypox is COVID/immune related, but hepatitis seems likely to be. Not sure if it would be immune system per se, but seems like there is pretty solid evidence of increased risk of stroke and heart attack even following mild infections and among the vaccinated. I’m definitely worried about the risk of a swath of cancer and Alzheimers long-term, especially after repeated infection. Vaccination still doing decent against preventing bad acute outcomes, but I really have no confidence it is very effective against long COVID.

Basically if you told me the end game is most of us who get COVID have poor quality of life in our 60s and life expectancy fell to 70….well I’d say that’s on the unlikely end of outcomes but I wouldn’t exactly die of shock either.

I agree with this. But it seems to me like a direct effect of COVID and not due to an infection by something else because COVID weakened the immune system (which is what I thought Cuse was saying).

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1541427801546432512?s=20&t=yCrPRfDjGqTGjlDwMGpRbA

1 Like

Well… I’ll look for it much more seriously now. Can’t wait!

In “blue cities really are different” news, DC just started offering free monkeypox vaccines to some residents. The eligibility criteria is:

To be considered eligible for the monkeypox vaccination, persons must be a District resident, 18 years of age or older and:

Gay, bisexual, and other men 18 and older who have sex with men and have had multiple (more than one) sexual partners or any anonymous sexual partners in the last 14 days; orTransgender women or nonbinary persons assigned male at birth who have sex with men; orSex workers (of any sexual orientation/gender); orStaff (of any sexual orientation/gender) at establishments where sexual activity occurs (e.g., bathhouses, saunas, sex clubs)

Contructive posts as always Prof.

:+1:

Was that really necessary?

You bored? Cruising the forum looking to stir up trouble in an exchange that appears to have run it’s course.

They did this in NYC as well. Problem
is supplies are still uber limited. They weren’t nearly able to fill demand.

This isn’t COVID but I’m fairly pessimistic about our ability to keep this out of the rodent population if this turns out to be anything different than the monkeypox flare ups we see from time to time.

Am I wrong in thinking that continuing personal covid precautions (kn95 or n95 masking, not eating in indoor restaurants, frequent hand washing) should be more than enough to keep you safe from this given that it seems less contagious than Covid?

Keep washing your hands.