A Call to Ban NotBruceZ for Consistently Endorsing Violence

I voted ban worthy for both, given the context of his past posting, past discussions, etc. If it was a first offense I would say flag and remove the posts, second or third ask him to tone it down, etc… That’s all happened already.

3 Likes

That’s fine, if enough of the community shares his views to warrant his continued posting, I’ll demod/de-admin and just be a regular poster who spends a little less time here. I cannot personally witness this posting with the power to remove it and let it go.

All it takes is one person out of the hundreds who read these forums regularly or of the randoms that may find their way here to take it literally or to be inspired by his rhetoric to do some thinking along those lines, and we could have blood on our hands. I’m not cool with that.

4 Likes

Im all for getting down in the dirt but he does it more in a way that gives ammo then punishing them. Plus there are no trumpers here so the idea he is attacking them back with their own words falls flat. Try twitter?

Still i dont like the idea of banning people so…

I suppose if he came out and said he really wants to have millions of people killed, you and I shouldn’t think he was serious either?

‘Using the language of ethnic cleansing’ means employing rhetorical strategies to demonize and dehumanize a group to the extent that killing them seems like a very cool, uh, cleansing idea. There’s little if any space between getting people amped up for that kind of violence and the violence itself. If all he means is that he wants Republicans to face maximum but lawful social accountability for all of their transgressions, he really keeps overshooting that message by very strongly implying he wants to see them all dead by one method or another.

1 Like

NBZ’s posting reminds me of that white guy in his 40’s who shows up at the Food Not Bombs meeting wearing brand new dock martens and not knowing anyone. Out of no where he’s talking about “ramping things up” and “showing them what we’re made of.”

The dude’s always a cop or mentally ill.

I guess this is the internet so he could also be a troll.

3 Likes

I’m not casting any aspersions on his mental state, he’s a sharp, interesting poster. But I don’t think he’s just trolling with this stuff. Maybe he is a genuine believer in revolutionary violence? He would not be the first.

I don’t think he’s trolling either. More likely a cop.

Not a cop. Probably mentally ill. I don’t think I am a troll because I don’t mislead about my viewpoints. I generally believe what I say. It’s possible I am triggered by centrists calling for unity, which makes me want to express my opinions in the most polarizing way possible.

1 Like

The posts don’t really bother me much and I don’t think they are ban worthy.

However there are many people bothered by what is at least half hearted trolling and he doesn’t seem bothered that others are bothered.

If enough people find themselves bothered enough I support removal but I am not able to judge that at the moment.

It would go along way with me if Bruce at least acknowledged what he is doing, but I have not seen it if he has done so. I just don’t have a visceral reaction when reading his posts. I read them and on to the next. Maybe that says something about me.

Lol edit nm last bit saw Bruce’s post above

See I don’t necessarily take you literally, but it’s pretty close. I think you would find it mad righteous to troll CP if a black person kills a presumably innocent white cop, am I wrong? (because CP is racist as fuck and constantly troll innocent black victims of police violence) I think you want something more to happen to Republicans than what our laws allow, am I wrong? (because they basically deserve it, or nothing meaningful ever changes without some amount of violence)

Can someone explain to me why, given this, we should allow him to keep posting this way? He says he’s probably mentally ill and he believes what he says.

Can we stop with the, “I’m sure he’s just kidding/trolling, I’m sure he doesn’t mean it.”

He says he believes what he says.

I voted not my cup of tea but not ban-worthy to both.

I agree that he’s deliberately walking a fine line by controlling the volume of his nonsense. As he’s admitted he has some kind of mental illness that’s responsible for this we should be engaging with him to get him to seek help, not banning him. What sort of people are we and what do we want to be?

2 Likes

Banning on a case-by-case basis via poll seems dumb. So how gross you get to be depends on how many friends you have? Tyranny of the majority.

1 Like

We should be doing both, if Discourse allows removal of posting permissions.

He posted dehumanizing rhetoric in the Trump thread after my warning, and it just came to my attention. I suspended him for 24 hours.

If people have a problem with my moderation, take a vote and demod me and take away my admin powers. I’m taking a stand on this.

This is absolutely not who we should be.

6 Likes

This actually bothers me more than sporadic posts about fantasy violence against Trump supporters.

I wouldn’t be at all sorry to see him gone from here, preferably on the advice of mental health professionals, but that’s not the same as saying I want him perma’d.

A 24 hour temp will make no difference to someone with the compulsion to post as he does.

Um, can you quote the posts that triggered the ban? I am looking at his activity and I see nothing.

I think you are being absolutely ridiculous. What ever happened to doing thing by consensus? I thought that’s what this board is about? You’ve taken polls - well, the consensus looks like it disagrees with you. Twice now. You “taking a stand” is just fascist bullshit.

A big problem with this board is a complete intolerance to anyone who does not think exactly like them. maybe go back to delusional gatekeeping over M4A. If this is the way the board is going - I’m out. A lot of you seem like completely unpleasant, delusional people in real life.

2 Likes

Just make a decision already. Mods were chosen by the member base because their judgment in rule enforcement was trusted.

Constant temp banning is a waste. Either perma ban or don’t.

Personally, I’m not offended by NotBruceZ. I gloss over his posts since I don’t think there’s much to respond to.

4 Likes

the cite has become Frankenstein’s monster for some of its creators.

1 Like

I only notice the bad posts because they have the “flagged by the community” warning you have to click on to read them, and then I click and it’s a fairly lame post that I don’t see why multiple people flagged.

1 Like