2024 US Presidential Election (Taylor's Version)

Humans are just terrible. Europe is a very advanced society and their politicians mash the racism button endlessly because it works. The species has been slaughtering itself for thousands of years and it is not going to stop.

1 Like

https://x.com/SteveKornacki/status/1845449400648335850?t=54YrSugefP0vKSpYltrWKg&s=19

America is racist is fuck but when you look at the rest of the world, it is kind of inspiring how we do manage to more or less live together with an extraordinary diverse population. I’m in deep-red Ohio, there’s a decent-size Muslim population near me and I never hear of major Islamophobic incidents (I’m sure little shit happens every day though, but no violence or vandalism). The Haitians over in Springfield were more or less having a normal time until JD Vance decided to stir up the assholes. Not saying there isn’t a TON of racism going on every day, but compared to basically everywhere else it’s historically peaceful.

I think many scholars would argue the reason you haven’t had some of the same issues is your systemic process of ensuring minorities and POC have no real power. The lack of more conflict is just the success of the white supremacist infrastructure.

4 Likes

Damn I was about to respond same, it’s easier to not have issues when the group in power knows they have the other ones under their thumb, issues we have lately is because the supremacists feel it slipping

3 Likes

USA is a lot more diverse than almost any other “western” country. Canada is one of the exceptions though.

Still, that’s not all that diverse. The most diverse countries (ethnically and linguistically) are mostly in Africa and they’re a lot more diverse.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/most-diverse-countries#google_vignette

Cross-referencing with the global peace index, Canada is the clear winner.

extinction burst

Well that’s terrifying. Interesting item within that poll that makes some sense to me:

https://x.com/SteveKornacki/status/1845450314129817746

This is a pattern–retrospectively viewing the presidency with much higher approval–seen with other presidents. But in those other cases, it’s a pretty harmless feeling to view things with rose-colored glasses - it doesn’t actually influence any decisions. It’s like forgetting how rough the first year of having a kid is.

But obviously it’s different here since the election outcome is going to be affected by this pattern. Over time, people are forgetting just how volatile (even before COVID) his presidency was and are reflecting back on him as having been a “normal” president. Is problem.

4 Likes

One of the many positive benefits canvassing for local candidates conveys is you get to see so many different ways that people think. I can no longer be surprised by anyone’s thought process on anything. People are inconsistent and unpredictable. The things they do often directly contradict the things they say.

3 Likes

Now do 20 years from now.

Read a great quote today that explains the current situation in America.

Everything is a conspiracy when you don’t understand how anything works.

10 Likes

I think the Haitians have more leverage than you might think. Remember, the city went out of its way to recruit them to come to Ohio and fill in decent manufacturing jobs. The politicians know the the economy is hosed if they don’t feel safe living in Springfield and they go elsewhere for work.

https://x.com/Politics_Polls/status/1845498682105274609?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

I’m sure that’s quite the comfort to all of the First Nations and Black residents who’ve experienced gov’t oppression firsthand.

Trump surging on betting markets

Donnie Dumdum 9pt fave in Polymarket today.

PredictIt closer at just a 1pt lead.

Ready to put my entire bankroll on Kamala pop vote @ 71c on poly

2 Likes

Small note. You should use the term indigenous as it includes MĂ©tis and Inuit.

Using just First Nations leaves out the latter two.

Why are they second nations? Seems like a problem with the term lol

Problem is they could easily just decide not to pay because “fraud” or whatever