2024 US Presidential Election (Taylor's Version)

The visible stuff is alarming. Could be icebergs.

1 Like

The growth in the “positive” interest in Hitler is also alarming. I chalk it up to two things: a) again, far-right influencers getting their tentacles into young people’s brains, and b) being farther and farther removed from WWII - there’s nobody around anymore with first-hand accounts of what happened.

6 Likes

Yea I see that too and it scares me

1 Like

To be a deplorable you just have to believe deep down in your heart that there’s a path via fascism where you get to punch down at people, and you crave that feeling of power. There are lots of union members and visible minorities that will fit in that profile.

1 Like

General fear and uncertainty contribute to people wanting a strongman to fix it. The actors that stand to benefit understand that and stoke the fear. Fear is at least one of the defining characteristics of MAGA and probably conservatives in general. I’m afraid “the left” also does plenty to increase anxiety and it’s counterproductive.

It’s frustrating because objectively we’re better off than we have been and we have solutions to many of our problems, if only we would implement them.

1 Like

I agree, but this technocratic stuff lands with a thud in elections. Elections are about feelings, and detailed technocratic explanations of why people shouldn’t feel bad is not an effective way to combat bad feelings. It just doesn’t work. Harris, for example, gained way more electoral advantages when people started calling JD Vance weird and laughing at him than the Dems ever acheived by putting 1000 technocratic bullet points on a website.

1 Like

Applies to my older family members. And the reason, to be frank, is that as bad as racism, homophobia, rabid transphobia, misogyny, etc is in America, it is far, far worse in many other parts of the world and they brought that shit with them.

It was initially a bit struggle for their hatred of others to win over Trump’s hatred of them but once they got over that, they were all the way in.

It’s not super encouraging that today’s 13-year-old boys idolize Andrew Tate and have been socialized on the modern equivalent of 4chan.

2 Likes

I agree.

1 Like

These recent WI polls are wigging me the fuck out. She should be up 6 there

+4 on generic congressional is almoat certainly a house flip even with margin of error, right?

1 Like

I think it’s +4 just for NV though so it doesn’t really mean much.

I work in higher ed and I can anecdotally share my feels that young kids are becoming increasingly attracted to MAGA/Trump. Tons of consumption of the podcast bros.

Limited to just males?

Obv unscientific but I’d say driven by males. Unfortunately there are a lot of followers at that age too, so it’s just sort of becoming cool/edgy to buck the default notion that college/young kids are liberal/democrats.

edit to add my feels that there has been a huge resurgence of the proud usage of gross language, particularly a certain homosexual slur and a nasty term used to describe people with certain developmental disabilities.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d expect him to make inroads with young males, just like he does with males of all ages. The key, I would imagine, is driving a wider female gender gap for Harris than he has with males.

Yea “retard” in particular seems to have had a huge resurgence. I first noticed it during the wall street bets days. It’s often subbed out for “highly regarded” which I embarassingly find somewhat amusing but still wish it hadn’t come back.

And yea, N-words and F-words abound

2 Likes

Yes, and of course olds are going to feed right into this with aggressive scolding and getting angry, which is exactly what the dipshit “edgy” crowd thinks is funny and the whole point.

Take it all with a huge grain of salt as I’m fully team WAAF and expect a November beatdown fueled largely by young and minority voters turning out hugely in the wrong direction.

1 Like

I think about this a lot and I find it hard to tell how much is just my perspective as an older person. It is true that young men are shockingly more objectionable then young women (also more reactionary and usually kinda dumb), but that was surely the case when I was young. Only I was a young man as well and subsequently lacked the self-awareness and functional intelligence to digest it all, I suspect.

3 Likes