2024 US Presidential Election (Taylor's Version)

In practice it will accelerate regulatory capture. Congress lets the lobbyists write the laws, now without the bureaucracy to slow them down we will move into hell

https://x.com/Acyn/status/1816249123735232543?t=tSIEAboUxzNQHQmm6g4W1g&s=19

5 Likes

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, BUT is transfer of power from legislative to exec branch under Chevron deference less democratic? I think so, the bureaucrats in the EPA \ FDA \ USDA \ ATF \ etc. may be the best people to do these jobs but they’re not democratically elected. That is an undemocratic process. Doesn’t make it a bad process.

So, getting back to the initial comment. Is this somehow a sign of a deficient democracy? I don’t think so. It is more a sign of an efficient state.

This is super weird logic. 99.9999999% of all legislative interpretation in every democratic nation is done by unelected bureaucrats. Democracy doesn’t mean every single decision or action is done by an elected official. It didn’t mean that even during its development in Greece.

1 Like

It seems pretty clear that conservative operatives in the US are pushing a lot of information about numerous “undemocratic” activities in the government becauset hey want to normalize their plans to override election results, etc. The more they can get everyone talking about “undemocratic” stuff the better for them, since they want single party fascism.

3 Likes

100%

I don’t disagree. But it follows that the below might not be the right way to assess a democracy as deficient

looking at things like the inexorable movement of political power out of the hands of the legislature and into the hands of the judiciary, executive, and various unaccountable bureaucracies like intelligence services.

This is something of a necessity as government becomes more complex for all the reasons you and others have argued.

It is a little scary what would happen if a Trump like head of the exec branch manages to fire all the experienced bureaucrats and replace them with ideologues who do not have such expertise

Trump’s appointees would do a better job because they are not DEI hires, duh.

I mean, those bureaucrats report to political appointees who are put in place by the president which sounds extremely democratic to me. It’s not like they’re just doing random shit willy-nilly. It’s the reason why there’s 0 enforcement of civil rights and environmental protections under R administrations, because the bureaucrats are told to not do that by the political appointees.

The intelligence services are full of secrets, but other bureaucracies aren’t unaccountable. Most agencies publish all their regulations and have open periods for public comments. Individuals and organizations can act through the courts or the legislature to influence the process and the top management at almost all the departments are political appointees who change with administrations and should be as responsive (or not) to the people as their boss is to the voters.

1 Like

I still legitimately don’t know if he knows Hannibal is a fictional character

I think he does at this point, but he is continuing with it to make it look like he knew what he was talking about all along. He does this shit all the time - says something wrong, but just pretends like he meant to say it like that. Most normal people would catch themselves misspeaking and either say “excuse me” and correct themselves or laugh at their own mistake.

10 Likes

That’s how we ended up with this:

5 Likes

Hannibal Lector video is really great. I would 100% be a premium subscriber to a Trump film podcast.

3 Likes

i’d assume he’s like kendrick and has multiple diss tracks already recorded, just waiting…

2 Likes

Maybe he thought that movie was about Joe Biden based on the title

So, we all think he believe Silence of the Lambs was a documentary, right?

Isnt this the exact thing that Jon Oliver covered when talking about project 2025?

3 Likes