2024 US Presidential Election (Taylor's Version)

I feel like he’d take some votes from Trump too, but who the hell knows.

The Republican running is probably the most popular governor within his state.

Manchin’s seat? LOL no.

Jim Justice was going to stomp Manchin easily. Any replacement is probably 10+ points worse, with or without a Manchin endorsement.

Democrats have a better chance in Texas and Florida than West Virginia. Probably Indiana and Missouri are both more likely too, and they’re firmly in LOL territory.

That WV seat is toast.

1 Like

What does “landslide” mean here?

1 Like

Biden will see his reflection in the snow-covered hills.

18 Likes

Id assume - wins PA, AZ, MI, WI and NV, loses OH, FL, NC, and GA

1 Like

That’s nowhere near a landslide. That’s worse than he did in 2020!

1 Like

This is certainly true, but I this guy whose hat is already in the ring seems to be the kind of person dems should be supporting.

1 Like

Re: supermarket pricing discussion.

My brother has worked at Baker’s for about 15 years and this is what he said. For context, I was commenting on Xiao’s post about 12 pack of Coke being $7.50 and Lays $4.30.

Sounds like they’re getting bolder on what prices to charge for the people who will just walk in and pay whatever, but prices are still relatively similar for those who wait for deals.

4 Likes

That’s called hi-lo pricing, and it’s a common tactic for retailers to make more money from people who will pay it while still offering deals for more budget conscious shoppers who wait for sales

2 Likes

One of the things that will really suck about proliferation of AI is companies will be able to use it in these type of ways to understand consumer behavior and then maximize the surplus value extracted from consumers to company profits. Obviously this has already been happening for a while in many industries especially within big tech like Amazon, but it also is rapidly getting better and more usable by other industries

1 Like

I can’t find the article now, but I read something recently about insurance companies using information they’ve gathered to adjust settlement offers based on what they’ve determined people will accept.

Hey you just described my job and career!

We like to think of it as reducing friction on our website and showing people things they’d love.

1 Like

We do this too, for example we predict how much of a discount to give a customer when they have a damaged item. Every decent e-commerce company does this stuff.

I am still stuck when coke and Pepsi were two twelve packs for $5.00. Now generic label soda costs that much for a twelve pack.

Do you have access to our income? Or is it just guessing more based on purchasing history?

They are doing it for rent. Don’t know if it’s full-fledged AI but most more sophisticated property management companies have software services that set rent pricing. Several states have lawsuits against the company that makes it, but I doubt that is going to stop them.

1 Like

Right, how are a bunch of “competitors” in a market like local housing able to use the same pricing software but that is not collusion?

One of those things that sounds like obviously antitrust violation on it’s face but will somehow be allowed since we live in a country dedicated to promoting the interests of businesses and the rich.

3 Likes

Yeah ecommercre and airlines have been doing this forever, but it feels like now every industry will be doing it to the point that people can never buy anything that will truly make them happy without spending an amount of money on it that will leave them a little unhappy.

1 Like

$5 is what I sometimes unhappily pay these days. But when it comes to soda we’ve always been wait for sale people. When it goes under $4 (threshold used to be <$3 in the before times), we’ll go in and clean them out of every single one they’ve got of the types that we drink.

But if we’re travelling, then we will just pay whatever.