2024 NFL Gameday Thread

Sure, he should retire. But the NFL Machine just gave him $212mm over 4 years this last summer. $167mm guaranteed.

Too bad they didn’t realize it before they paid him. And then they paid Ramsey.

This outcome was so fucking obvious. Even if you take away the fact that he has been an unremarkable hit away from his brain turning to mush, there is really nothing special about Tua. He’s a replacement level starter at best. He fits great in McDaniel’s system. But if you believe in McDaniel, he can probably cook up a system for any decent QB that isn’t as much of an injury risk.

This is some painful shit to watch and no amount of fading the Dolphins really helps.

1 Like

Anyone know if

1. There was a way for Dolphins to buy some sort of insurance policy for this
  2. If there was, did they do it.

Even if that was possible and done, the real problem is the cap hit.

Only Elon would be stupid enough to insure against Tua getting KTFO.

I think the teams buy insurance over all their contracts together. Also, the contract he signed at $167 million guaranteed, but that was if he was cut. Medical retirements might have very different guaranteed amounts.

He didn’t miss a start in 2023.

Malik Willis is starting a football game this week.

2 Likes

Variance. His luck was bound to run out well before his contract was up.

When I said starter I meant top QB on the depth chart. Willis is a backup that is forced to start because of injury to Love.

In other words if the Dolphins dumped Tua in the offseason, I doubt whoever they use that pile of cash to attract is significantly worse than Tua. Washed Russell Wilson is probably Tua-level. Hell, Tannehill is probably in that category. They should call him.

I do agree he needs to retire.

I just don’t think it will be that easy to replace him. Overall league qb play is pretty sus right now.

Why does he do the weird hand thing when he gets brain deactivated? I’ve seen it happen rarely to others, but man it’s like every time with him.

He’s just uncoordinated and doesn’t have the instincts necessary to protect himself. He needs to be banned for his own good.

Also loldolphins maybe that weirdo moist coach ain’t it. You can’t get rolled at home like that week 2 to a depleted jv defense. And fix your field this isn’t Brazil.

No matter who they sign, no matter who they hire, no matter who they draft, no matter who owns the franchise, it’s still the same ole Dolphins. Shula’s Curse imo

Yeah, this.

I’d bet I don’t see them ship one in my lifetime.

I’m not a huge Bill Simmons fan, but I remember a while ago when he actually wrote stuff, he suggested teams just need a VP of common sense. Dolphins could have used that here.

If they had just put Tua out on the market and taken whatever mid draft pick they could get, it would have been fine. You just can’t sign a guy like this to a long term deal. If he was Mahomes level talent, sure I’d do it and feel scared (and dirty). But Tua is nowhere good enough to have justified a mega contract with his concussion issues.

Now we’re down to hoping that McDaniel can turn Skyler into Brock Purdy. I’m not optimistic.

dude, healthy Tua is infinitely better than those guys. Unfortunately healthy Tua doesn’t exist any more, but he does have legit all time great anticipation over the middle of the field.

Healthy Tua stopped existing back on that night in Cincinnati.

Also disagree that he had all time great anything. Lots of QBs could make the throws that he did.

Pretty sure the real problem is the man that is going to be a vegetable or murder his entire family before he’s 50.

their best move was probably to trade him for a top 10 pick in the best qb draft in a long time and then try to copy what SF is doing.

Nowinski calls it “fencing posture.” I’m not sure the reason for it, but for any questions about traumatic brain injuries, he’s the guy to turn to to explain it to us normies.

https://x.com/ChrisNowinski1/status/1834419590761214219

1 Like

nah, he’s too good of a human. Worst case scenario he Seau’s himself.

Seems like it wouldn’t be hard to wipe away the brain damage concerns with that kind of money on the line. I think I would talk myself into it even if I already had millions.

But I would wear a guardian cap. Why every qb is not required to wear one (let alone every player) is absurd.

also like…just slide.

as protected as QBs are in the nfl in 2024 it should be pretty easy to avoid head to head collisions

1 Like

I don’t think “just slide” is a reasonable take, at least on that play.

It’s easier to notice where 1st down yardage is on TV with a big yellow line dominating the screen, but figuring it out on the field with people chasing after you has to be orders of magnitude tougher.

It was 4th down. Imagine the hate he would have gotten if he did the slide 1 yard too early.

3 Likes