2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

I feel in the past they have publicized the possible high end of the storm surge, but then it’s usually lower. People are going to get complacent though and feel like the NOAA cries wolf, and one of these times they’ll say 20 feet and it’ll actually be 20 feet, or more, and then everyone’s fucked

I was initially confused by the combo of American unit and European decimal symbol.

I’m in the Atlanta area - looking at weather reports, it doesn’t seem like it’s going to be THAT bad, though it is unusual for a hurricane to have a path that goes right through here, as opposed to us just getting the edge of the storm.

It’s been raining for a day already and will keep going the next couple days. Nothing heavy yet, but sounds like it will get heavy (rain has actually been very light so far, just constant). Wind is my concern. Looks like the forecast has calmed down in terms of wind speed since last night, so that’s good. Still windy and there could be gusts, but the reports I’m seeing so far are more like winds up to the teens, rather than 20’s and 30’s that I saw last night.

My concern for me, personally, is that my house is surrounded by trees, so I really don’t need strong winds combined with soaked ground.

Wife flies home from Nashville at noon, seems like she’s getting out in the nick of time, in terms of weather delays.

It’s projected to nail the vacation home of a guy I know. We have a lot of mutual friends and I hate follow him on Facebook. He posts condescending entrepreneur and “thoughtful” conservative stuff all the time but deep down he’s a raging Trumper. Bought the house a few years ago, after claiming climate change can’t be real otherwise why are insurers still serving Florida homes? I’m hoping the hurricane nails him, only him, and his insurer folds and disappears as is the custom in FL.

9 Likes

One thing to be mindful of, that Atl folks may not be used to is that when soils get soaked, it can make it easier for trees with shallow root systems to blow over. So even if you aren’t getting extreme winds, the moderate winds might cause significant damage when coupled with a lot of rain.

Correct. We had an apple tree fall down years ago because it was in a little sunken part of the yard, so water would pool there. It was away from the house and not towering, so it wasn’t a problem when it fell, but we and most other houses in my neighborhood have huge, looming trees.

1 Like

Postponing the two ATL/MYM games until Monday really screws the Royals. Now the games with KC mean something to ATL and we’ll probably get Sale and Fried.

Just another untold human tragedy of this impending disaster.

2 Likes

The impact on one of my fantasy teams cannot be overstated.

You have multiple MLB fantasy teams?

I do. One local low-tech league where some of the guys have been doing it for 30+ years, and one online where I only know one person. Both are weekly lineups, I did a daily league once and I just do not have the bandwidth.

I made a playlist for when you ride your bike Hokie:

I’m only joking around of course.

I used to commute exclusively by bike for about 2 years (~30-40 miles per week) and then a mix of some days bike, other days bus for 6 months (~25 miles per week). I miss it. It was a good way to get some fresh air, exercise, and see the city from a different perspectiv. I did my best to follow the rules of the road but definitely did some biker shit at times. Thankfully a lot of my commute was on dedicated bike paths! I only had to share the road a little bit to get to those paths.

I did have one wipeout when my tire got stuck in a light rail track my first time trying a slightly different route. I had some nice bruises and a little road rash but didn’t hit my head or anything. I had to put the chain back on, but once that was done I finished the ride to work. And I kept commuting via bike. Now I’m on blood thinners and a cycling accident could be pretty fatal :harold:

My partner has been hit twice by cars, including once that had multiple broken bones and an in-patient hospital stay. She still does about once per week because parking is a ton easier, but that’s going to be stopping.

1 Like

Eric Adams - very dumb

https://x.com/ddayen/status/1839326772053340506?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

https://x.com/vplus/status/1839317842396852294?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

how do you pull that off?

He bikes exactly 2 and a half miles every YEAR bro

5 Likes

i took the period as the silly euro way of using a comma.

that’s like 7 miles a day, i bet i got close to 2,500 miles summer 2022 to summer 2023. maybe not that much but close maybe.

exactly 0 on an actual bicycle tho haha

1 Like

Pretty sure Germans measure all distances to the thousandth unit for accuracy and consistency.

4 Likes

BMI = 30

4 Likes

Adams is effectively being indicted for being stupid. What he did is run of the mill corruption for your median NYC pulic official, his crime was being too stupid to not get caught.