2024 LC Thread: Name That Tune

All psychiatric disorders can range from mild to severe. I don’t know why it should be any different for autism?

2 Likes

Don’t go to conferences for starters

1 Like

That’s fair, but autism seems a bit unique in that the range of symptoms and prognosis goes from “this person is mostly normal but might come off a bit weird at times” to “this person is borderline non-functional and almost entirely incapable of communicating.”

It can be especially challenging for schools where you can have multiple kids with a diagnosis of autism but the individual requirements for each child can be vastly different. I get that psychiatric disorders like this all need to be taken on a case by case basis, but to me the whole point of having a word for something is so that you can group like things together, and “autism” as a general word seems to fail to do this somewhat.

2 Likes

These are my thoughts as well. I also question as to what is being diagnosed to tie these very different people to each other. The symptoms for current autism seem almost never ending.

FWIW, two people can meet DSM-5 criteria for Major Depressive Disorder and have only minimal overlap in symptoms. Blame God for making the brain so damn complicated.

2 Likes

https://x.com/MLB/status/1813965994790121980

We have failed as a society.

5 Likes

“I’ll take 2, but hold the lettuce please, I’m on a diet.”

3 Likes
3 Likes

This happens with other disorders as well. There’s people who walk around with depression all day and do just fine with their daily lives. There’s also people who stop eating, kill themselves, etc and etc.

1 Like

I have arthritis in my knees and can still walk just fine.

1 Like

I love a Chicago-style taco

They out here taco-maxxing during Brat Summer. The nerve!

3 Likes

Pikachu unavailable for comment

6 Likes

Are there labelled marked degrees with Autism Spectrum?

For example, with Bipolar, BP1 and 2 are quite different in terms of impact, but clearly belong in the same group.

This is one of things that’s been known by psychology for decades. There was one study that showed happiness didn’t increase after a certain level and every one repeats it even though it’s a complete outlier.

EDIT. I will now go read the article to see if this exact point was made there.

We have Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 - in order of increasing symptom severity. There is also social pragmatic communication disorder which is essentially the social component of autism without the sensory processing or executive functioning/inflexibility components.

so the fix for this Crowdstrike outage is to delete a file under the System32 folder, except most users arent going to have root access to be able to do this so they have to call in to their IT support who already have thousands of tickets in their queue that haven’t been worked yet. this is going to be a shitshow.

1 Like

It is even worse than that. You need to boot in safe mode to do that. A lot of corporate laptops don’t allow you to do that and IT needs physical access to the laptop to bypass that restriction.

1 Like

Ludd was right

1 Like

Got a text from my company this morning about a global outage. Guess that’s what they meant